Hitting behind the ball

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I seem to have developed a serious flaw with my swing, namely that I keep belting the ground about 6 inches behind the ball and just duff it 20 yards. I think something has happened that I haven't noticed as Ive been at the range a lot hitting off mats while the course has been underwater. Is it possible i'm trying to hit the ball too hard and dipping on my downswing?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I seem to have developed a serious flaw with my swing, namely that I keep belting the ground about 6 inches behind the ball and just duff it 20 yards. I think something has happened that I haven't noticed as Ive been at the range a lot hitting off mats while the course has been underwater. Is it possible i'm trying to hit the ball too hard and dipping on my downswing?

Probably the opposite that you are lifting up and then extending the club too much, too early, for fear of topping. It's called 'flipping'.

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks, that would make sense, I have hit a few tops lately after a range session with a pro where he got me to flatten my swing a bit. Any ideas how to cure it?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The problem is there a a number of reasons why you may be hitting fat. You could be tilting back on the downswing, casting the club, trying to help the ball up and flipping as JO said, standing too close to the ball. A vido of your swing would be a help.

Captain_Black

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Same problem as me.
I know what is causing me to fat the ball, I am coming in to steep, I am currently working on getting on the correct plane.