Hitting a Stake ?

Skytot

Visit site
Played in our board job medal today. I had a good front 9 of 42 of 17hcp . Got on the 10th par 5 , hit a good drive . 2nd shot I used my 5 wood but didn’t hit it well and hit a water hazard stake and ended up behind a tree . Had to pay down the 24th fairway and got a 7 .. playing partner said walking off the green some course have local laws of play the shot again if you hit a stake ?
I’ve never heard of that ruling anyone advise ?

Steven Rules

Visit site
Played in our board job medal today. I had a good front 9 of 42 of 17hcp . Got on the 10th par 5 , hit a good drive . 2nd shot I used my 5 wood but didn’t hit it well and hit a water hazard stake and ended up behind a tree . Had to pay down the 24th fairway and got a 7 .. playing partner said walking off the green some course have local laws of play the shot again if you hit a stake ?
I have never heard of such a local rule. There is a model local rule (E-11) available to committees for a ball that deflects off overhead power lines or supporting poles etc - but not for deflecting off a penalty area stake.

It seems like an odd thing for your playing partner to say. In the absence of any other information, I'd be strongly inclined to dismiss it as either (a) the musings of someone who is making it up or (b) a bizarre and unauthorised practice at some far off and anonymous golf club.

Next time you see this person you might like to challenge them to provide more specific information about where this so-called practice takes place.

salfordlad

Visit site
Played in our board job medal today. I had a good front 9 of 42 of 17hcp . Got on the 10th par 5 , hit a good drive . 2nd shot I used my 5 wood but didn’t hit it wel
l and hit a water hazard stake and ended up behind a tree . Had to pay down the 24th fairway and got a 7 .. playing partner said walking off the green some course have local laws of play the shot again if you hit a stake ?
I agree with Steven and note there is no permitted local rule that would authorise a requirement or an option to replay a stroke that hits a penalty area stake.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree with Steven and note there is no permitted local rule that would authorise a requirement or an option to replay a stroke that hits a penalty area stake.
Agreed. But a fence keeping cattle of the green? Not applicable here though.

salfordlad

Visit site
Agreed. But a fence keeping cattle of the green? Not applicable here though.
It's not in the Official Guide but I understand has been approved in specific cases by the responsible authority. That's very different to a PA stake.

Last edited:

Skytot

Visit site
We have a local rule on our 14th . Where you tee off from there is a telephone cable directly above your ball flight path . If you manage to hit the wire, you are allowed to re-take your drive . One lad did it twice on the bounce

Steven Rules

Visit site
We have a local rule on our 14th . Where you tee off from there is a telephone cable directly above your ball flight path . If you manage to hit the wire, you are allowed to re-take your drive . One lad did it twice on the bounce
That local rule is not uncommon. Model Local Rule E-11.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Haddington GC has this for telegraph pole and wires across one fairway. Their LR is that you MUST disregard the shot and play again.
It is amazing how often people hit them.