Hit your peak?

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
I imagine many people think they're better than their handicap is, but have any of you ever suddenly thought that you're not?
I've been fighting for reductions for ages and I've gone the other way.

I'm now at the stage where it's hitting me hard that I am what I am and I'm clearly not as good as I think.
It's quite sobering and nothing has happened to make me realise this other than another bad round yesterday where I thought to myself, "I'm actually rubbish aren't I", rather than the, "why aren't I playing better than this".

Just wondered if anybody else had got to this stage in their golfing careers?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Ever since I tried to catch my first ball as a toddler, I have been working under the safe assumption that I naturally suck at all things sport. So the realization that I am free of all talent when it comes to golf wasn't much of a shocker for me. The cool thing is that (different from most other sports I tried), in golf everybody except for a few exceptional talents seems to struggle almost as much as myself. Plus it is one of the few sports where thinking things through before you act is actually helping matters. I enjoy it that I can hit the ball when I feel ready for it (instead of having to react because some opponent throws, kicks or bats it at me). So even though it takes patience and I might feel like I am stalling or even moving backwards sometimes, I don't feel like I've peaked yet and even if I did, it would be okay, because I can comfortably trott along in the middle of the pack, something I have not been able to do in any other sport.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Ever since I tried to catch my first ball as a toddler, I have been working under the safe assumption that I naturally suck at all things sport. So the realization that I am free of all talent when it comes to golf wasn't much of a shocker for me. The cool thing is that (different from most other sports I tried), in golf everybody except for a few exceptional talents seems to struggle almost as much as myself. Plus it is one of the few sports where thinking things through before you act is actually helping matters. I enjoy it that I can hit the ball when I feel ready for it (instead of having to react because some opponent throws, kicks or bats it at me). So even though it takes patience and I might feel like I am stalling or even moving backwards sometimes, I don't feel like I've peaked yet and even if I did, it would be okay, because I can comfortably trott along in the middle of the pack, something I have not been able to do in any other sport.

That sounds like a tremendous attitude to me. Well done and I'm pleased for you

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've just got my lowest h/c (10.7) at age 54. I reckon I've got another 5 years before I'm into permanent 0.1s...

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Coming as someone who was at a national and very low-level international level in another sport, and trained with people who were elite, I think most people have way more potential than they ever get close to. Not to say everyone can be tour standard, but most people can be very good.

However, the rub is that if they reached this potential, or even got close to it, they would enjoy whatever the activity is far less than they imagine, as the approach taken to achieve it would be completely different to what they do now.

That's not a knock on either type of individual, it's fine to be competitive or it's fine to just enjoy what you do.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Coming as someone who was at a national and very low-level international level in another sport, and trained with people who were elite, I think most people have way more potential than they ever get close to. Not to say everyone can be tour standard, but most people can be very good.

However, the rub is that if they reached this potential, or even got close to it, they would enjoy whatever the activity is far less than they imagine, as the approach taken to achieve it would be completely different to what they do now.

That's not a knock on either type of individual, it's fine to be competitive or it's fine to just enjoy what you do.

That's interesting Dibby.
So what do you think people require to 'unlock' their potential, and what is it you think they're not doing?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
this year has been disappointing TBH, really expected to kick on as i'd rediscovered my driving. cuts just keeping pace with the 0.1 though. played much less comps this year might be something to do with it. Only silver trophy's, no Medals.

i suppose i shouldn't complain, never expected to get to 5 and lower, est after only starting in my 40's, would like to get lower though

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That's interesting Dibby.
So what do you think people require to 'unlock' their potential, and what is it you think they're not doing?

So I don't believe there is one secret, and clearly, some people find it easier than others, but to hit peak performance, you basically have to do things that may be considered a chore, and things that people consider unnecessary. Practice and play should be structured around specific goals for sessions, short-term periods, longer-term periods and ultimate ambition. More time should be spent on weaknesses not strengths.

An easy example of something commonly overlooked or dismissed is general fitness levels - covering flexibility, mobility, strength, weight, stamina, diet and how they all relate to what you are trying to achieve. Most golfers say golf is their exercise, or think because they jog a couple of times a week, or do bench and curls they are covered.

Easy examples of how not to practice - Just going and bashing balls on the range with the driver, and react to every shot with a technique change.

Visit site
I'm 54 tomorrow - and been playing tourist golf (1 weekend a year) for the past 15 years - scoring 90++ (and some 100s) around Machrihanish/ Machrihanish Dunes each June or September

Essentially due to lack of opportunities (based in Central London/then France/now Italy) and other life priorities

Have a bit more opportunity time-wise now - hence my plan to play locally here in Italy

I hope I can get better - to reach somewhere in the 'teens would be a reasonable start

PS - On my last hack about the hanish in June my PP was reminding me of my birdie-birdie-birdie start one time (circa 1990) on Carrick Knowe - an Edinburgh municipal course - with a real gleam in his eye as I putted out for a scoring 8 :D

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm in my early 30s, never had a membership for more than 2 straight seasons and got down to 11 with less than 4 years of club golf under me. I have won scratch competitions and shot in the 70s.

I feel all I need is more than two straight years playing golf at a club with lessons and regular games. I should get into single figures, every pro says I was heading that way and I agree. I just need the chance to make it happen.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Every game / sport I've ever done I can do / play to a certain level (being able to show that I am reasonable at it). Golf is no different. I started on H/C of 22 but knew I could play to 15. Mates laughed at me when I said this. I'm now at 13. I think I could get lower but have been at this level for 3 years. I play 2-3 times a week. There is no chance of me getting any better. God knows why not. It's obviously my level for golf.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
So I don't believe there is one secret, and clearly, some people find it easier than others, but to hit peak performance, you basically have to do things that may be considered a chore, and things that people consider unnecessary. Practice and play should be structured around specific goals for sessions, short-term periods, longer-term periods and ultimate ambition. More time should be spent on weaknesses not strengths.

An easy example of something commonly overlooked or dismissed is general fitness levels - covering flexibility, mobility, strength, weight, stamina, diet and how they all relate to what you are trying to achieve. Most golfers say golf is their exercise, or think because they jog a couple of times a week, or do bench and curls they are covered.

Easy examples of how not to practice - Just going and bashing balls on the range with the driver, and react to every shot with a technique change.

Fair play.
I think I cover most of those, but the improvements just don't happen for me.
The mental side of the game has really got me by the neck and is where I fail. It's all sub-conscious mental though, rather than knowingly freezing/bottling it.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Realistically speaking, I am at or around my peak for the amount of time and effort I commit to the game. My handicap goes up and down by about a shot over the season as I have purple patches and bad patches but is normally around the 15-16 mark.
Can I improve, probably yes. Will I improve, very unlikely as I do not have the time to commit to lessons, range time, chipping practice, time on the putting green etc.
Basically, I have reached the peak for playing 1-2 times a week, turning up at the club not having hit a ball for 5 or 6 days, having a few swings in the practice net, half a dozen putts then heading to the first tee.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fair play.
I think I cover most of those, but the improvements just don't happen for me.
The mental side of the game has really got me by the neck and is where I fail. It's all sub-conscious mental though, rather than knowingly freezing/bottling it.

Not a dig, but what do you mean by "most"?

If you have "most" of them covered, you may reach "most" of your potential.

The other important thing is not just having a plan, but obviously, it has to be a good plan, both in terms of the goals set and in how you will execute. A plan could be to shoot 59, and it will be executed by practising 3-foot putts for 30 minutes once a week. It's good that it's a defined plan, but I wouldn't call it feasible.

I assume most of your practice is in the mental area then? Even if it's just 9 holes with a mate on the practice green with a bottle of coke at stake, there has be consequences.

I once had a coach (not golf) who bought everyone doughnuts, he then put each person's doughnut in front of them, and they had to successfully make their next attempt to eat it. Fail, and maybe he ate it in front of you, or just smashed it and made you clean it up. Either way, there were rewards and consequences for performing or not performing, no matter how trivial.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I peaked ages ago, and now have other goals in golf. Mainly to enjoy playing a bit more. Chasing a particular handicap is a bit of a shallow goal to me. What ever the number, the only person who would be impressed by it is me, and then there would be another number to chase. No thanks, can't be bothered.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I got down to 6 h/cap about 1990 - and only just - and only for a very short time. Pretty confident I can get back to there in the next couple of years and closer to 5 than I was before - so no - don't think I've yet reached peak-me in golf.

JV24601

Head Pro
Visit site
Not a dig, but what do you mean by "most"?

If you have "most" of them covered, you may reach "most" of your potential.

The other important thing is not just having a plan, but obviously, it has to be a good plan, both in terms of the goals set and in how you will execute. A plan could be to shoot 59, and it will be executed by practising 3-foot putts for 30 minutes once a week. It's good that it's a defined plan, but I wouldn't call it feasible.

I assume most of your practice is in the mental area then? Even if it's just 9 holes with a mate on the practice green with a bottle of coke at stake, there has be consequences.

I once had a coach (not golf) who bought everyone doughnuts, he then put each person's doughnut in front of them, and they had to successfully make their next attempt to eat it. Fail, and maybe he ate it in front of you, or just smashed it and made you clean it up. Either way, there were rewards and consequences for performing or not performing, no matter how trivial.

Most - as in I look after myself. I am fit and healthy and my S&C/gym work, is based around my golf. I practice what I think is focussed twice a week, and play twice a week with players far superior to me. I don't allow myself shots with them either and I'm still competitive.

I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be (10 handicap and I want to be as low as possible).

I genuinely feel that my 'golf head' is good most of the time and that I'm not letting nerves get the best of me. I'm not a swearer, I'm not a club chucker, I try to laugh and get on with it even though I'm angry when things don't go my way.
I must add though that I'm becoming more nervy of late with certain shots because they've not been working for me.

With all those things in mind, I feel I should be able to play to a far better handicap as I do socially and out of competition.
But for some unknown reason, when it matters, I consistently fail to perform.
This has been ongoing for a long time now and I've got to the stage where I think well, this is me.

I've read psychology books, I've spoken to psychologists, I've tried different methods/techniques. Nothing changes though, I play to or over my handicap every time.

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most - as in I look after myself. I am fit and healthy and my S&C/gym work, is based around my golf. I practice what I think is focussed twice a week, and play twice a week with players far superior to me. I don't allow myself shots with them either and I'm still competitive.

I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be (10 handicap and I want to be as low as possible).

I genuinely feel that my 'golf head' is good most of the time and that I'm not letting nerves get the best of me. I'm not a swearer, I'm not a club chucker, I try to laugh and get on with it even though I'm angry when things don't go my way.
I must add though that I'm becoming more nervy of late with certain shots because they've not been working for me.

With all those things in mind, I feel I should be able to play to a far better handicap as I do socially and out of competition.
But for some unknown reason, when it matters, I consistently fail to perform.
This has been ongoing for a long time now and I've got to the stage where I think well, this is me.

I've read psychology books, I've spoken to psychologists, I've tried different methods/techniques. Nothing changes though, I play to or over my handicap every time.

My comments\thought\opinions, take them for what they are worth, which could be a lot or could be nothing!

1. Be more specific with what you want to achieve. Right now you're achieving your goal perfectly, you're going as low as you possibly can right now, with the tools you have right now. I know it sounds like I'm just being an arse, but things like this do matter.

2. You shouldn't laugh when you are angry. Everyone gets angry, it's a natural reaction to things going wrong, how you channel and use that anger is more important than hiding it. Again, not meaning to be an arse, just interpreting what you say with how I read it.

3. So you know what specific things will be primary in your short-term practice.

4. Do you believe this?