Hit or fit?

popeye

Hacker
Visit site
I have been playing the game for about 3 years now and play I of 19. At the minute my biggest weakness is my irons.

At the minute I am using a old set of Ben Hogan bh-5's but looking to upgrade however I do suffer from inconsistent strikes so the question is this.

Do I sort out my strike before getting fitted it or do I get fitted before heading for lessons and working on my swing?

The argument for being fitted first is that there is no point in having a lesson if I am using the wrong tools-it will always be a uphill struggle.

The argument for lessons first is that because my swing is inconsistent the odds of me being fitted correctly are slim.

Please help!!

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
It's not even close - get lessons first. The slight odd degree difference in loft/lie is not comparable to the difference a good pro might make to changes in your swing.

Imagine going for lessons, feel you've changed your swing (even if in reality it's not that much) yet you've already paid for fitted clubs - you'll always have a massive nagging doubt that your irons are 'fit' to your swing

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With lessons it’s difficult to improve if your irons don’t suit you .
Trying to change your swing is not easy but trying to do it with Ill fitting clubs is very hard.

Fitting isn’t an exact science anyway it always depends how u swing on the day.
Get fitted and try getting second hand clubs that suit , you don’t need the latest model.

Doing both is the ideal solution but expensive.
Catch 22 really.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Lessons first. You need to give the fitter a degree of a consistent strike to get the most from the session. Also, after a lesson, especially if it has big changes, machange the set up you were fitted for in terms of lie angle