High Handicap Wedges Cleveland CBX 2?

Bswarbs

Visit site
If I wanted a cheap second hand pair to get me started before I have a fitting what would people suggest? I don’t really want to spend 200 now to replace them in 4 months.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
i think Mizuno do wedges aimed at higher handicaps, they have new ones due out, never used them myself though

They look really interesting them.

Forget what they are called but they have a very limited set of lofts.

Think 54 degree, 58 and 60 only. No gap wedge for sure.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have the original CBX wedges in 52 & 56, they are perfectly good enough for mid-higher h/c players, they feel nicely balanced, look fine at set up and are easy to hit, so all in all not much to not like about them (PS - I also have and have played Vokeys for many years, & unless you are a very good player I don't think you will feel the difference and the CBX2 will be more playable for you)

bradleywedge

Visit site
I got them recently to replace vokeys .. I had the vokeys 4 years or so.. got myself down to 25 (which for me is good) the cbx 2 seems a lot better suited to me already after 5 rounds than they ever were

I've just done a similar same switch, although went via ping 2.0 glides, I now have the Cleveland CBX wedges but not had chance to use them yet.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I wanted a cheap second hand pair to get me started before I have a fitting what would people suggest? I don’t really want to spend 200 now to replace them in 4 months.
If you only want second hand then look on Ebay and see what's about. Plenty of people sell wedges in pairs of sets of three when they replace them.

Bswarbs

Visit site
If you only want second hand then look on Ebay and see what's about. Plenty of people sell wedges in pairs of sets of three when they replace them.
To be honest looking at prices it doesn’t look like I’d save an awful lot so might go new and I can always sell them on.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wouldn't go for second hand wedges. I would want nice fresh grooves.

I also wouldn't worry too much about forgiveness, I'd just go and try a few and see what I got on with.

https://www.americangolf.co.uk/golf-clubs/wedges

There's a few on here in the sub-£70 a club category that I'm sure you'd get on well with. The Rife's look like a good deal at £120 for two. But as I said, I'd try a few and see.

D

Deleted member 1147

No i think is was S something an bit bigger and Chunkier than the others, i seem to remember them being Blue as well?

just had a look S18...the new ones are ES 21 with a weight in
I read an article about the ES21, and apparently it is a better player wedge & not for beginners.

Bswarbs

Visit site
So I’m going to go new and choosing between the Callaway Mack Daddy’s CB wedges or Cleveland CBX2. What’s everyone’s thoughts?

Diamond

Visit site
I bought a 2nd hand 58 degree lob wedge off eBay for £40, I had Callaway XHot 2 Set so I went for a Callaway, MD3 Milled is the model. Works well for me out of bunkers.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I've had a few Cleveland wedges now, currently have RTX ones. Reliably good, well renowned. You won't go wrong with any of theirs from recent years. Don't get hung up on which model, they are consistently good

My playing partner on a Saturday has the CBX ones and they have transformed his short game, easy to hit.

Which you go for, Cleveland or callaway etc will largely be down to which suits your eye. None of the big names produce a poor one though so don't get too hung up on your decision.

Incidentally, don't get hung up on buying new. You are new to the game, a high h/c in your own words. Back spin is not relevant, it may never be. Get some second hand ones off Ebay to see which brand suits you. There are always plenty of wedge sets out there in great condition. Buy new when you are more confident about what you want.

Bswarbs

Visit site
I've had a few Cleveland wedges now, currently have RTX ones. Reliably good, well renowned. You won't go wrong with any of theirs from recent years. Don't get hung up on which model, they are consistently good

My playing partner on a Saturday has the CBX ones and they have transformed his short game, easy to hit.

Which you go for, Cleveland or callaway etc will largely be down to which suits your eye. None of the big names produce a poor one though so don't get too hung up on your decision.

Incidentally, don't get hung up on buying new. You are new to the game, a high h/c in your own words. Back spin is not relevant, it may never be. Get some second hand ones off Ebay to see which brand suits you. There are always plenty of wedge sets out there in great condition. Buy new when you are more confident about what you want.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284015926061
Given the above, would these be any good? It’s saves me a 100 which I can put towards a second hand driver that I need.