High Handicap Wedges Cleveland CBX 2?

Bswarbs

Visit site
Hi all,

Just getting into golf and need some wedges. The pro has advised a 50 and a 56 degrees but want a forgiving pair. Having looked about it looks like the cbx 2 could be perfect. What’s everyone thoughts or are there any alternatives to consider? Also is it worth getting fitted for them?

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

Just getting into golf and need some wedges. The pro has advised a 50 and a 56 degrees but want a forgiving pair. Having looked about it looks like the cbx 2 could be perfect. What’s everyone thoughts or are there any alternatives to consider? Also is it worth getting fitted for them?

I got them recently to replace vokeys .. I had the vokeys 4 years or so.. got myself down to 25 (which for me is good) the cbx 2 seems a lot better suited to me already after 5 rounds than they ever were

Bswarbs

Visit site
I got them recently to replace vokeys .. I had the vokeys 4 years or so.. got myself down to 25 (which for me is good) the cbx 2 seems a lot better suited to me already after 5 rounds than they ever were
Did you standard flex etc of the shelf or have them fitted?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi all,

The fitting question will always divide opinion for a relatively new golfer and some will say wait until you are more consistent and others will tell you to crack on. Another question would be budget and are you looking to buy new or second hand? Lots of good makes out there and obviously for some brands like Vokey you are paying for the name. Do you have the option to try a few different makes anywhere? I think that is the only way you'll find out what suits your eye and feels right for you

Steviefella

Visit site
I’m looking to swap my sm6 vokeys as well for these. Got to admit I’m not hitting them clean and need some help. I saw them for 95 quid each on golf support which is if you buy 2.

Bswarbs

Visit site
The fitting question will always divide opinion for a relatively new golfer and some will say wait until you are more consistent and others will tell you to crack on. Another question would be budget and are you looking to buy new or second hand? Lots of good makes out there and obviously for some brands like Vokey you are paying for the name. Do you have the option to try a few different makes anywhere? I think that is the only way you'll find out what suits your eye and feels right for you
I’m not bothered about buying new or second hand. I’m in sw London so I guess there must be places.
My pro who I really get on suggests waiting for a fitting on my irons until my swing is more consistent.
I need some wedges to learn and improve on my short game.

Last edited:

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m not bothered about buying new or second hand. I’m in sw London so I guess there must be places.
My pro who I really get on suggests waiting for a fitting on my irons until my swing is more consistent.
I need some wedges to learn and improve on my short game.

Buy a 50 and 56 like he suggested and crack on

You will learn so many shots with them

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I have Cleveland 588 RTX wedges and really like them
As for lofts, do you know the loft of your PW?
Mine is 47 degrees, so I’ve then gone 52/56/60
If your PW is 45 ish then 50/56 is a good call

Bswarbs

Visit site
I have Cleveland 588 RTX wedges and really like them
As for lofts, do you know the loft of your PW?
Mine is 47 degrees, so I’ve then gone 52/56/60
If your PW is 45 ish then 50/56 is a good call
I’m not 100% but I’m replacing my irons in the next few months anyway. The pro said that it’s most likely a new PW would be 44/45 so the 50 and 56 would work well.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I've had good experience with Cleveland wedges and although I don't have these specifically, any poor shots you hit with them are not going to be down to the club.

Problem is that there are a great many options with regards to bounce and sole. The optimal set-up can depend on what type of player you are (a digger or a sweeper), what kind of course you play on (firm turf or soft) and also what kind of shots you are playing (full shots or chips or bunker shots).

Ultimately it is almost impossible to 'cover all bases' and if you are just starting out I can say 100% it will make next to no difference - other than, if you are spending £100 on a club you would like it to be a longer term purchase.

My guidance would be to get 2 second hand wedges at the lofts your pro has suggested - branding doesn't matter too much. Probably with 10 degrees of bounce in the 50 and 12 in the 56 (for bunker or rough) - as a 'neutral' set up. And practice with them. Use the 50 for most shots of 100 yards and in, then use the 56 for bunker shots or shots from the rough around the greens.

Get used to hitting a 100 yard shot, a 75 yard shot, a 50 yard shot. You'll bank a good level of knowledge about how far / fast you need to swing for each distance. It's not easy, but I'd say that is a decent method as opposed to playing with 4 wedges and having 3 yardages for each wedge. Lessons will likely accelerate the process.

If you want some reading - Dave Pelz Short Game Bible is worth getting through. Especially about the 'dead hands / arms' technique.

Bswarbs

Visit site
I've had good experience with Cleveland wedges and although I don't have these specifically, any poor shots you hit with them are not going to be down to the club.

Problem is that there are a great many options with regards to bounce and sole. The optimal set-up can depend on what type of player you are (a digger or a sweeper), what kind of course you play on (firm turf or soft) and also what kind of shots you are playing (full shots or chips or bunker shots).

Ultimately it is almost impossible to 'cover all bases' and if you are just starting out I can say 100% it will make next to no difference - other than, if you are spending £100 on a club you would like it to be a longer term purchase.

My guidance would be to get 2 second hand wedges at the lofts your pro has suggested - branding doesn't matter too much. Probably with 10 degrees of bounce in the 50 and 12 in the 56 (for bunker or rough) - as a 'neutral' set up. And practice with them. Use the 50 for most shots of 100 yards and in, then use the 56 for bunker shots or shots from the rough around the greens.

Get used to hitting a 100 yard shot, a 75 yard shot, a 50 yard shot. You'll bank a good level of knowledge about how far / fast you need to swing for each distance. It's not easy, but I'd say that is a decent method as opposed to playing with 4 wedges and having 3 yardages for each wedge. Lessons will likely accelerate the process.

If you want some reading - Dave Pelz Short Game Bible is worth getting through. Especially about the 'dead hands / arms' technique.
Thanks, that’s really helpful.

D

Deleted member 1147

May also be worth looking at the Ping Glide & Callaway’s new cavity back wedges

Bswarbs

Visit site
Would the Callaways be a better bet than the Cleveland’s? I have Callaway irons, which although are not perfect, I do like.

D

Deleted member 1147

Would the Callaways be a better bet than the Cleveland’s? I have Callaway irons, which although are not perfect, I do like.
No one can tell you that I’m afraid, you’ll just have to try them.