High ball flights caused by shafts?

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it possible my super high irons are caused by the shafts? I play Ping Rapture V2'S with regular AWT shafts and these things launch into orbit!
Now I know a lot of it is my swing and I'm having a lesson tommorow, my SS with a driver is 300mph cough cough I mean 90mph so I know regular shafts are fine. I was thinking of trying TT DG SL R300 to try and get my flight down,any other thoughts?

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could be a number of things. Shafts,Impact position etc. However I think the Rapture range is quite a high launching Iron anyway if i'm not mistaken. Have your lesson and mention it to your coach and see what he/she says.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with the thread above and I think you will find htat your irons are made to send the ball high. But your high ball flight can be caused by the shafts as some shafts are designed to have a high launch angle to get the ball up.

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
The biggest factor on launch angle is the loft of your clubheads, might be worth getting the lofts checked and perhaps made a little stronger (i.e. will bring the launch angle down a bit)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If I had to guess, then it is you not the clubs. I bet you are not hitting down on the ball correctly, but helping it into the air, adding loft at impact.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'll get the pro to video it tom snow permitting, maybe get him to do it on my phone as well and I'll upload for you guys.No driver shots though as It's been delayed due to snow in France (where the club builder gets his supplies)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do you take a divot after the ball? If not then you are more than likely flipping your wrists and creating a high ball flight.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
If I had to guess, then it is you not the clubs. I bet you are not hitting down on the ball correctly, but helping it into the air, adding loft at impact.

Careful about hitting down this is a bit of a myth. Yes with irons you want to strike the ball just before the club bottoms out so yes technically the club is still travelling down at impact. So all that is needed is a change in ball position.

To make a conscious effort to hit down could result in a steep, choppy action and probably a lot of fat shots.

Same swing for driver only ball position changes again to the point just after the low point of the swing arc.

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nope don't really take divots,just brush it off the top really.Lesson got cancelled due to my wee boy being off sick. I have been known to flick the wrists before.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Careful about hitting down this is a bit of a myth. Yes with irons you want to strike the ball just before the club bottoms out so yes technically the club is still travelling down at impact. So all that is needed is a change in ball position.

To make a conscious effort to hit down could result in a steep, choppy action and probably a lot of fat shots.

Same swing for driver only ball position changes again to the point just after the low point of the swing arc.

Moving the ball back can equally cause all sorts of problems, if it was in the correct place already. Some times it is better to move the bottom of the swing to where the ball is (or just in front of it if we are being picky), other wise you can end up hitting off the back foot, which really does nasty thiongs to your swing.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
Moving the ball back can equally cause all sorts of problems, if it was in the correct place already. Some times it is better to move the bottom of the swing to where the ball is (or just in front of it if we are being picky), other wise you can end up hitting off the back foot, which really does nasty thiongs to your swing.

Sure I totally agree. I rough rule of thumb is that short/mid irons play from the middle of the stance give or take, longer irons and woods move the ball progressively forward in the stance.

The point I was making is very often the hitting down tip is misinterpreted and people start hitting hard down on shots when they shouldnt really do anything other than just swing the club. Ball position takes care of catching the ball when the club is descending (before it bottoms out).

IMO this is one of the main reasons why some people struggle playing in soft wet conditions hitting fat shots. In summer or on hard ground they can get away with it.

Sorry OP back on topic now but it is a bit relevant to ball flight.