HI folks from a not so new newby

mickyg

Visit site
Hi all,

Been looking on here for some time now having taken up the hitting of the little ball with metal sticks, wife's words not mine, after a twenty year absence. Anyway the upshot is that if I don't stop draining the coffers of £100+ each month swanning about on expensive courses, again her words, it'll be another 20.

So I'm looking for a club in South Leicestershire area and was wondering if anyone had any experience in this region.

I scuttle round Whetstone in mid to late 90's on the occasions I've been lucky enough to get a sensible tee time however the traffic is quite heavy at the weekend when I would be looking at venturing out. However it is a Club I would consider joining

I've played with a few work mates at Rothley, 8am starts, and Forest Hill near Markfield but find that although they're pretty good courses they are a tad on the pricey side.

Also I've had the joy, not, of a couple of rounds at Western Park and experienced the joy of having some prebusecent scrote knicking my ball from the fairway. Add to that the greens are probably the worst I've ever played on and you get the message.

I have however been wondering about Cosby? It seems friendly enough having spoken to the pro at length but £200 per year more expensive than Whetstone.

Is it worth it? Does anyone have any experience of playing there?

Any help would be appreciated

bigfoot1985

Head Pro
Visit site
hi mate, im currently a member at whetstone and i have to agree about the heavy traffic not just at the weekend but also in the week. Im leaving there come march due to not being able to get game and that when i go up in the week for a game its always packed!! Dont get me wrong its not a bad course and the people there are friendly.

I use the pro at cosby (anders) for lessons and he is a great bloke. He has not long took over there, big improvements since him being there. They say that cosby have the best greens in leicestershire!! They look immaculate even at this time of year. A few people from whetstone had moved there last year but came back to whetstone because they said whetstone is alot more friendly.

I have played at western park and do so quite alot. Yes its not the best course in the county but being a member there has its benefits of being able to play at humberstone heights as well as western park for the same price, so basically your getting 2 courses for 1. The greens aint as good as other places but i wouldnt say they are the worse. They are doing alot of work at western park at the minute to improve the course. As for getting your ball nicked, this has never happened to me or the people i have played with. It annoys me that people say that about this place. Good bunch of lads play up there especially at humberstone. At end of the day they are municiple courses.

mickyg

Visit site
Hi mate. I must have had a bad couple of rounds at Western then. I'm trying to stay clear of the municiple courses at the moment as I've only started playing again and get extreamly frustrated with slow play. As you imagine that then affects my game.

The lay out of Western is nice and the two courses for the price of one appeals however I really need to play more often and the prospect of standing waiting for someone to play only to have them duff each shot grates really. 5 hours for 18 holes is excessive.

In an ideal world the kids would stop growing and the missus stop spending and I'd become a member of Millionaire Golf Rothley. The members there don't start turning up till 11. Bliss!

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
i played at Cosby the other week, found the staff and members very friendly. despite raining all day the course was in decent condition for this time of year, greens were excellent. when i played the coursee had 2 temp greens and about 3 temp tees, i would imagine once the weather picks up the full course will be open. i'll visit again before June.

mickyg

Visit site
I like to get out at first light but don't seem to be able to get tee times early enough at Western or Wetstone. Ideally 8am finish for 11:00 - 11:30 and then an ealry lunch and pint.:thup:

Work dictates this is Saturday and/or Sunday with the odd Friday thrown in every other month.

Last edited:

bigfoot1985

Head Pro
Visit site
i play in the week and you can always get out at the crack of dawn, i tee off at break of light in the week. Normally the first one out and can get a full 18 done in 3 hours.

At the weekend if you ring on a tues to book for sat and a wednesday to book for sunday i have never had a problem at western/humberstone for a tee time. It normally takes about 4 hours at weekend to get round.

During summer months at whetstone you wont get a tee time till after 1 as weekends are booked up for comps. If your looking at playing in comps then its not a problem getting early tee times at whetstone as long as you get your name down in the early tee slot which is 7-9am.

I think its the same for alot of privately owned courses that throughout the summer months the course is taken up with comps most weekends.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I play at Beedles Lake, have you played there?

Not sure what the subs will be this year yet, but I'd guess somewhere around £600-£630.
Proper greens and tees all year round.

I think they usually leave a few tee times free before comps for people to book, but in or after a comp and you're not getting much change (if any) out of 4.5hrs. Most comps are Saturdays, leaving Sundays for general play.

Tee times are booked using BRS up to 13 days in advance so if you can plan in advance it's not difficult to get a decent time.