help with what size clubs

cloud12321

Visit site
Hi all. Im just looking for some advice on what size clubs to go for as none of the size charts have the size i need. I am 5ft4 and 27 inch from the floor to the wrist. I currently use old clubs picked up from boot sales and find the clubs too big. I try holding them further down the club but have the handle digging in my stomach affecting my swing. I have only ever played 9 hole par 3s and driving ranges but have had some good games (best 3 over par.) And now am ready to get serious in playing and get some better clubs to help improve my game. Any advice would be very grateful thank you.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hi all. Im just looking for some advice on what size clubs to go for as none of the size charts have the size i need. I am 5ft4 and 27 inch from the floor to the wrist. I currently use old clubs picked up from boot sales and find the clubs too big. I try holding them further down the club but have the handle digging in my stomach affecting my swing. I have only ever played 9 hole par 3s and driving ranges but have had some good games (best 3 over par.) And now am ready to get serious in playing and get some better clubs to help improve my game. Any advice would be very grateful thank you.

Have a look at the custom fitting section in www.ping.com. Even if you don't want to buy their clubs, it should give you an idea of your optimum specification.

cloud12321

Visit site
Have a look at the custom fitting section in www.ping.com. Even if you don't want to buy their clubs, it should give you an idea of your optimum specification.
I have tried the ping site but they only go down to 29" from wrist to floor where i am a 27" from the floor. Its annoying because even with a minimum size males club are still too big for me to use.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have tried the ping site but they only go down to 29" from wrist to floor where i am a 27" from the floor. Its annoying because even with a minimum size males club are still too big for me to use.

think a major issue to the clubs you use feeling/being a ways too long could also largely be down to the 'lie angle' of the irons currently being used

while height and wrist to floor measurements is a good starting point it's not only shaft length that plays into it
meaning that shorter folks may because of the w-t-f length will probably need the lie angle of the irons looked at - could be a flatter lie angle needed

just checking you are not a junior? as if so there would be other factors such a club weight etc

only real ways to get a full answer would be to find a teaching pro who also club fits - that would be the best ways to go though there would likely be a cost but it could save $'s in the long run as should come out of it with the best possible solution

other ways to go would be going for a fit at a store outlet (take a note of the results - don't have to go through with any purchase) but bearing in mind you likely be dealing with a sales person who had had some in house training in basic fit as opposed to a pga pro

given the measurements given (5' 4"/27) my best guess would be around an 1&1/2" off standard length and maybes some 2º flat - {but keep in mind hacking 1&1/2 off current clubs would also change the swing weight} (flatter lie angle has the handle lower to the ground when club soled correctly) but that's just an educated guess - you should really go for a dynamic fit so fitted through hitting shots - rather than a standard static fit - as the dynamic fit would also look at how the shaft got loaded so then better spec the weight of the shaft (could be a real light shaft would be a better fit) and also what kinda flex to suit the weight maybes you could use reg or maybe need a little ways more flex or even stiff to fit with a real light shaft)

fraid there's no easy cut and dried simple answer - a dynamic fit the real best ways to go - but if that's not possible - check out the racks of irons in some store outlets looking at shaft weights how they feel and ask it they have any 1º or 2º flat lie clubs around and see what they feel like

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Boring answer but go to a pro, there usually be one at the driving range, and ask for advice. He may even give you a basic measure there and then so at least you'll have some ball park information to be going on with