Help with Wedges

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
I have the following wedges;
Callaway MD4 52,56 and 60 degree all 10 degree bounce and S grind.

I find the 56 deg just right. I enjoy using it and it is my most used wedge.

The 60 deg - I have some periods better than others, I need to commit, but can often get the club too much under the ball.
I feel with practice I can become better with this wedge, we’ll see.

My biggest issue is with my 52 deg. I can often struggle to get a clean strike, my visual tells me the front lip is high off the ground at address, it can feel this way too and I often strike too high up the ball and end up thinning through the green at worst.
I am wondering if a different 52 club in an alternative bounce and/or grind will help me, now I have this image in my mind, I have lost confidence in the 52 deg.

To help describe it further, the 60 deg has too much of what I need and the 52 deg too little.
Hope this makes sense.
I intend to try some alternatives out but keen to know inputs from others before I start.

Thanks for any comments

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your thoughts are about right, a 52 with 10degrees is about on the high side for bounce.

The 60 depends on what you use it for

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I have the following wedges;
Callaway MD4 52,56 and 60 degree all 10 degree bounce and S grind.

I find the 56 deg just right. I enjoy using it and it is my most used wedge.

The 60 deg - I have some periods better than others, I need to commit, but can often get the club too much under the ball.
I feel with practice I can become better with this wedge, we’ll see.

My biggest issue is with my 52 deg. I can often struggle to get a clean strike, my visual tells me the front lip is high off the ground at address, it can feel this way too and I often strike too high up the ball and end up thinning through the green at worst.
I am wondering if a different 52 club in an alternative bounce and/or grind will help me, now I have this image in my mind, I have lost confidence in the 52 deg.

To help describe it further, the 60 deg has too much of what I need and the 52 deg too little.
Hope this makes sense.
I intend to try some alternatives out but keen to know inputs from others before I start.

Thanks for any comments

i suppose it would depend on if you are a digger or a sweeper?

switched my wedges a couple of years ago, as i changed my swing to hit down on the ball more with a steeper swing, before i had 50/6 but kept chunking after the change so now have 52/10 and 58/14.

i have no problem with 52/10 and carry it around 110 for a full shot, i play and a links course and have to problem with tight lies with it either

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Your thoughts are about right, a 52 with 10degrees is about on the high side for bounce.

Having a quick peruse of wedges and bounce, Vokey, Cleveland, Ping and Callaway all specify 10° of bounce as being their standard on a 52° wedge.
Sometimes, in the spec sheets, manufacturers show bounce of their irons too.
Not uncommon for a 45/46° pitching wedge to have 8/9° of bounce.

The fact that a 56° wedge with the same bounce works well but a club with 4° less loft but the same bounce doesn't work leans towards a technique issue IMO

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
Yes you are spot on. That was my thinking too, but I'm not so sure;
My Mizuno PW 45 deg has 5 deg of bounce and is my favourite and most reliable club.
The 56 deg MD4 is also great as previously stated, but the 60 deg is too much under the ball and the 52 isn't enough.
Given the MD's are all the same grind and bounce, you'd think better consistency, though I'm far from a robot!

In MD measurements I think I'm nearer needing 52 in 8 bounce and a 60 deg in 12 bounce.
May need to look at other brands as no amount of lessons is going to convince me the MD 52/10 is getting close enough to the turf.

Having a quick peruse of wedges and bounce, Vokey, Cleveland, Ping and Callaway all specify 10° of bounce as being their standard on a 52° wedge.
Sometimes, in the spec sheets, manufacturers show bounce of their irons too.
Not uncommon for a 45/46° pitching wedge to have 8/9° of bounce.

The fact that a 56° wedge with the same bounce works well but a club with 4° less loft but the same bounce doesn't work leans towards a technique issue IMO

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Everything sounds like your clubhead is getting way ahead of your hands at impact.

You would also need a very wide sole for 10 degrees of bounce to create problems from the turf - most SW specs are 56/12 or 56/14 with large soles, but they still work fine from the fairway.