Help where has my driver swing gone, snap hook or something else ?

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Spent alot of time trying out drivers a few weeks ago ending up buying the Ping G15

Something nasty has crept into my driver swing over that few days both on the course last night and today at the range trying to find out why :confused:

My original ball flight is either slight fade or straight both with the new and old driver

My fault appears to be a snap hook, severe low flight curving to the left ( i am right handed )

The result is horrible no distance very ugly and i am baffled

Checked my setup, grip, ball position tried off left heel and slightly further back etc, and for many drives the same result.

Then after a short 2 mins break tried again and wow excellent drive with a draw 220yds +

All that seemed different was a feeling of more relaxed arms ?

My question is what can cause snap hooks as i have never had this problem going to the left !

Please help if you can, sorry no swing vid to show whats going on and i got the same snap hook with my old driver as well as the new driver !

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Snap hook comes simply from shutting the clubface down before you've contacted the ball.... there could be various causes.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think you have hit on the fault, just watched a video that explained how the right hand can creep round under the grip and results in a closed face at impact

I will work on my grip i think

Its also interesting that this has only started since the hot weather arrived, sweaty hands, fear of slipping, no glove, and maybe my grip has drifted

Could the right hand shifted too much clockwise be the real cause perhaps ?

Only when i relaxed too the point the club felt it would leave my hands and head after the ball did the snaps stop and my drives became straight maybe because the right hand was not forcing the clubface ?

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Could be lots of things, casting/flipping, no hip rotation, high right shoulder......

OK found the fault......... i think

Tried again at the range and i was convinced it was my grip, my right hand turning more clockwise on the grip which i thought would create the closed face at contact

Anyway, tried my new grip and it felt wrong and i wasnt happy, drives didnt improve

Now after watching the guy in front also hitting drives i could see how his extension after impact looked how i thought mine was ( except i was wrong my release / extension was wrong )

So the fault was this.. after impact i am sure my arms were collapsing so ..........

Next swing i really focused on my extension, feeling like my arms were heading down the line towards the target and bingo perfect drives and i could change slightly my ball flight to either a fade or draw depending on my extension

Does this sound correct as i am baffled if not

Also distance was back to my decent length of 220 yds +