Help on Scottish golf courses

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I’ve got a week’s holiday in Scotland this summer and so was looking forward to the opportunity of a round on a links course, a rare treat living in the middle of England. But I made the mistake of leaving the location to my wife and she’s gone and booked one of the most golf isolated spots imaginable, not on purpose she tells me...

We’ll be near the Northern end of Loch Shiel, I’ve done a quick search on the internet and the only links course I can find in the area is Traigh, two other nearby courses are Fort William and a bit further away Fort Augustus.

Traigh is a 9 holer but from the web site looks a decent course in a beautiful spot. Has anybody played it (or either of the other two) and what are your thoughts?

Or are there any other links courses nearby that I’ve missed.

T

thecraw

Traigh is awesome, its in the most majestic location imaginable. Play it late on a summers evening with the sun sinking into the sea behind the Isle of Skye and its just amazing.

A few quirky but fun holes but the greens have deteriorated over the last 7 years I've been playing it. Just enjoy the setting.

T

thecraw

Cheers guys, you've cheered me up already. :)

Where are you staying? I know the area quite well. If you are prepared to travel a wee bit, try the Dragons Tooth as well. Its another nice 9 hole offering in the area.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Fort Augustus and Fort William are heathland/ moreland courses Dragons Tooth is supposed to be nice thought not played it myself. the only links i can think of are Traigh and Gairloch both are 9 hole. for championship links the nearest would be Inverness way or Machrihanish!!!

stevie_r

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know it's not relevant this time as obviously your digs are sorted but Dragons Tooth is free if you are staying next door at the Ballaculish hotel (or it was last year)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Where are you staying? I know the area quite well. If you are prepared to travel a wee bit, try the Dragons Tooth as well. Its another nice 9 hole offering in the area.

We're staying near Glenfinnan, it does look a cracking spot for the scenery so I'll forgive my wife.

Fort Augustus and Fort William are heathland/ moreland courses Dragons Tooth is supposed to be nice thought not played it myself. the only links i can think of are Traigh and Gairloch both are 9 hole. for championship links the nearest would be Inverness way or Machrihanish!!!

Inverness or Machrihanish would be brilliant but I don't want to travel too far.

I know it's not relevant this time as obviously your digs are sorted but Dragons Tooth is free if you are staying next door at the Ballaculish hotel (or it was last year)

Next time I'll post on here first and get a bit more involved in choosing the location!

I'll only get the one day to escape the family so Traigh looks to be the best bet, I'll aim to get there mid to late afternoon and maybe play 27 holes so I can see the sunset! Should also give me a chance of getting to know where the trouble is third time round.

Thanks for all your help!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We're staying near Glenfinnan, it does look a cracking spot for the scenery so I'll forgive my wife.

Inverness or Machrihanish would be brilliant but I don't want to travel too far.

Next time I'll post on here first and get a bit more involved in choosing the location!

I'll only get the one day to escape the family so Traigh looks to be the best bet, I'll aim to get there mid to late afternoon and maybe play 27 holes so I can see the sunset! Should also give me a chance of getting to know where the trouble is third time round.

Thanks for all your help!

Why don't you try and stop off somewhere on the way, its a shame to come to the home of Links golf and not play one of the top courses?
go via the A1 loads not far off there once you get to the borders or via Ayrshire.

sona

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Following my post a few days ago the Dragons Tooth at Ballachulish will be an 18 hole course this year.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Following my post a few days ago the Dragons Tooth at Ballachulish will be an 18 hole course this year.

Thats very interesting, i've wanted to have a shot around Dragons tooth a few times when i've driven past. The Current Mrs148 and I often go for a drive out to the west coast in the summer, but as our car is a Alfa 2 seater, i've never had clubs with me as no room. Getting an estate in the next few weeks to will perhaps get the chance this summer.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Why don't you try and stop off somewhere on the way, its a shame to come to the home of Links golf and not play one of the top courses?
go via the A1 loads not far off there once you get to the borders or via Ayrshire.

Believe me, nothing would please me more but in the interests of family harmony I don't think it can be done.

Thanks, I'll definitely check the website nearer the time, plans could be changing already.