Help needed - takeaway advice and pull hooks!

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi

Looking for some advice on two items, one that causes some confusion whilst stood over the golf ball, the other that costs significant shots when it occurs due to lost ball(s)!

Firstly, I utilise a one piece takeaway until the hands pass the right pocket then I begin setting the club. However, I am unsure as to how long the face of the club should face the ball, or travel in a straight line, until it moves on an inward path. I don't want my path to be too flat yet I don't want to 'pick the club' up either!

Secondly, in the last couple of weeks a dreaded pull hook and hook have crept into the game. My overall game has improved a lot in the last few months however this shot is very costly as usually results in a lost ball or OOB. My usual shot is a gentle draw.

Any help would be appreciated.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Turn the right shoulder away from the ball, keeping the relationship between the wrist & forearm the same. As the shoulders go round the wrists will want to break naturally & the left forearm will rotate clockwise. Just let this happen & you should arrive at the top with the club parallel to the line to the hole. Simple advice from John Jacobs.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Turn the right shoulder away from the ball, keeping the relationship between the wrist & forearm the same. As the shoulders go round the wrists will want to break naturally & the left forearm will rotate clockwise. Just let this happen & you should arrive at the top with the club parallel to the line to the hole. Simple advice from John Jacobs.

Did JJ really say the forearm rotates clockwise?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
To the OP.........
I wouldn't try and keep the clubface pointing at the ball at all as the club swings on an arc, not a straight line.

As for the pull hook, I guess you have an out to in swingpath and a closed clubface at impact.
I would start by checking your aim/setup.

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
I've checked my grip and that isn't an issue. Worked over the winter on shoulder feet alignment so this shouldn't be a problem. Most of my shots are a draw but this hook comes out of nowhere.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
To the OP.........
I wouldn't try and keep the clubface pointing at the ball at all as the club swings on an arc, not a straight line.

As for the pull hook, I guess you have an out to in swingpath and a closed clubface at impact.
I would start by checking your aim/setup.
Think it might have been Jim Hardy but it's a natural movement, I find.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Pretty flexible!

If the pull hook is a rare shot then I would say it comes from a subconscious fear of hooking it.
What will happen is the subconscious fears the hook so the body stops turning into impact, the arms and club go passed you and it flips left round your body.

To stop it, make sure you keep turning through impact, that will stop your hands/club overtaking your body

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Bob, thanks for your advice, could it also be that I may spin the hips too quickly, creating an OOT swing?

It could be although if you are spinning your hips on every shot you would snap hook every shot. Unless of course you only spin the hips too fast when you go for the biggy?

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi

Looking for some advice on two items, one that causes some confusion whilst stood over the golf ball, the other that costs significant shots when it occurs due to lost ball(s)!

Firstly, I utilise a one piece takeaway until the hands pass the right pocket then I begin setting the club. However, I am unsure as to how long the face of the club should face the ball, or travel in a straight line, until it moves on an inward path. I don't want my path to be too flat yet I don't want to 'pick the club' up either!

Secondly, in the last couple of weeks a dreaded pull hook and hook have crept into the game. My overall game has improved a lot in the last few months however this shot is very costly as usually results in a lost ball or OOB. My usual shot is a gentle draw.

Any help would be appreciated.

when you are practicing this stuff - are you just thinking about doin this as you hit balls or are you using any kinda practice station ?
& is your evidence of doin it correctly just through what the strike & shot result is like ?

also what 'angle' is the handle lyin at in the lead hand & how many knuckles on the lead hand do you see when looking down at set-up/addresss ?