HELP! I’ve developed The Yips out of nowhere

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
The most consistent part of my game has always been putting.

On a round in mid-May I had a stinking day with the flat stick. I’ve had them before of course, but this was different. It was as if I had somehow forgotten how to putt.

Next round even worse and so began the downward spiral to desperation.

5 weeks on and it’s now become a real mental issue. I can hardly hold the club, and were I to be playing me in match play, I wouldn’t give myself a 6-incher.

Anyone been there before and what did you do to conquer it?

The obvious thing is a lesson, but I’m wary, because my putting has always been based on whatever natural ability and feel I have/had.

My problem currently is just this. I’m thinking about what I need to do to putt. I have never ever pondered the mechanics of my stroke, and trying to assimilate something a pro may tell me doesn’t appeal at all. It’s where I am already and is essentially the problem.

Biggest thing currently is that I make an involuntary jerk and flick at impact.

HELP!!! How can I get my former confidence back?

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I don't think there is an easy cure for genuine yips.
But as you've only just developed it you could try hitting putts on the green to no target and just focus on getting a smooth back and through swing, thinking about nothing at all.
Then when that's working try to hit to a distance, but not the hole.

D

Deleted member 3432

Struggling to understand that you don't want advice from a pro but do want advice from a bunch of amateurs.

I've been there, developed yip like symtoms through a loss of confidence through missing putts caused by faults creeping into putting stroke.

See a good pro who has a good reputation for putting tuition and sort this out now. If you let it develop further it could get seriously bad.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

On a round in mid-May I had a stinking day with the flat stick. I’ve had them before of course, but this was different. It was as if I had somehow forgotten how to putt.

5 weeks on and it’s now become a real mental issue. I can hardly hold the club, and we’re I to be playing me in match play, I wouldn’t give myself a 6-incher.

The obvious thing is a lesson, but I’m wary, because my putting has always been based on whatever natural ability and feel I have/had.

My problem currently is just this. I’m thinking about what I need to do to putt. I have never ever pondered the mechanics of my stroke, and trying to assimilate something a pro may tell me doesn’t appeal at all. It’s where I am already and is essentially the problem.

My putting was pretty good before I got the yips. I tried everything I could find. I finally ended up putting left handed. Probably better than now than before I got the dreaded yips. But still putt 20'+ right handed without the yips.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My putting was pretty good before I got the yips. I tried everything I could find. I finally ended up putting left handed. Probably better than now than before I got the dreaded yips. But still putt 20'+ right handed without the yips.
I knew, and played with, a guy who experienced exactly the same! It was horrendous watching him shake over (even very) short putts.
I was about to offer him a 'double sided' putter, but he beat me to acquiring one. So right-handed on longer putts, but left-handed on 'short' ones. It worked, but no idea why!

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Struggling to understand that you don't want advice from a pro but do want advice from a bunch of amateurs.

I've been there, developed yip like symtoms through a loss of confidence through missing putts caused by faults creeping into putting stroke.

See a good pro who has a good reputation for putting tuition and sort this out now. If you let it develop further it could get seriously bad.

Seeing that written down makes perfect sense and is hard to argue against. It may have to come to that. :)

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site

Spooky, as I can make a much better stroke with the back of my Spider on the short ones. So much so that I have been thinking of out putting a left handed putter in the bag.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think there is an easy cure for genuine yips.
But as you've only just developed it you could try hitting putts on the green to no target and just focus on getting a smooth back and through swing, thinking about nothing at all.
Then when that's working try to hit to a distance, but not the hole.

Cheers Crow. I think that would do me no harm at all.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m sure I can beat this, because during the 3rd year of playing seriously, or as seriously as I can manage, I contracted, but ultimately overcame after 6 months, what seemed an almost career-ending case of the shanks.

Both have/had the same thing in common. Head issues. Like so many of golf’s woes. They’re firmly rooted in the mental aspect of the game.

It

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Head issues. Like so many of golf’s woes. They’re firmly rooted in the mental aspect of the game.

I make an involuntary jerk and flick at impact
Since 'the cure' I still yip if I try righthanded in a comp or match but have no problem when practicing.

That is exactly what I experienced. It was all in my right hand. When switching to LH the right hand isn't really doing anything so no jerk.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

5 weeks on and it’s now become a real mental issue. I can hardly hold the club, and were I to be playing me in match play, I wouldn’t give myself a 6-incher.

Go and get a lesson from your Pro…..

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Just because it's not been mentioned, have you tried changing grip, to left hand low or a pencil/claw?

^^^ worked for me. I developed the yips and switched to the claw grip half a dozen years back. Not had a problem since.

I still adopt a normal grip on longer putts though, as distance control with a claw grip can be difficult.

Worth a try.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
From a psychological point of view you have to shock your system to create new, and disturb your old, neural pathways. Go to a putting green and try putting with only one hand, use a wedge, your driver and as others have mentioned change your putting grip too. 'Trick' your system into almost resetting itself.

I hope that can help.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice guys. I have, I think I've got it sussed. I was quitting at impact as a result of turning my right hand over and dragging everything, or else simply not making a stroke at all.

I played on Friday and concentrated on making a 'straight' and complete follow through and only 3-stabbed two greens. But that could always have happened anytime, as the first putts were both really long and the second ones were four to six feet, with significant breaks. What heartened me was that during the round I holed around half a doz two-footers and it's these that were really terrifying me.

I'm not claiming a complete cure, beware false dawns, but I left the course on Friday feeling pretty good and tomorrow's game holding no terrors... yet. :)

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Keep it simple, practice your stroke on the carpet, at the putting green, use a putting mat whatever. Try to practice with pressure - for example the tee drill

Pin out four tees - N,S,E,W a short distance - 6 inches, 1 foot, 3 foot, club length, whatever.
Putt out from those tees, if you sink them all you then extend the tees and continue, but if you miss a putt you start again. I find this helps with those shorter putts and keeps a consequence for missing.

I hope you sort it out as the yips are horrendous. Failing that can we play for money with no gimmies!