Help 4 Heroes Forum Meet. The follow up.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Today Robin Williams and myself were hosted by James Burns from Help For Heroes, initially at their main headquarters, and then on to their rehabilitation centre 'Tedworth House', both based in Tidworth, Wiltshire. Unfortunately Rickg could not join us due to work commitments, although with the attractive young ladies working in the headquarters it was probably just as well !!

Robin was the Blackmoor Captain at the time we arranged the forum meet, and was a huge help in getting the club to agree to hold the charity day, and waive all green fees. Robin and Michele England the Lady Captain, raised over £10,000 for H4H's through their Captains charity.

It is very difficult to put into words the emotion that Robin and I felt when we went into the main offices, affectionally called 'The Tin Hut', a good name for that is exactly what it is. Staffed by volunteers, it has a 'buzz' that cannot be described. All the walls were decorated with photos of servicemen and women that the charity has helped, along with press cuttings of not only 'famous' people, but the general public that have done so much to raise what now stands at over £148 million ! The Tin Hut is the heart and soul of the H4H charity.

Part of the money raised has gone to bring Tedworth House back to life. A former country mansion, then a barracks for US troops prior to the Normandy landings, then an officers mess, before it sadly fell into neglect and disrepair. H4H purchased the property a few years back, and it is now the most stunning rehabilitation centre.

The centre has the most impressive gymnasium, complete with the most modern state of the art machinery. It even has an indoor ski slope, which can be raised in height to provide a mini black run !

The main building has accomodation totally befitting the heroes that will be staying, and designed to give the injured personnel the support to get them physically and mentally fit to carry on after their traumatic events. So much thought has gone into every detail, even down to the colours of the walls, and the artwork, designed to be 'mentally' uplifting to the guests.

It really is an inspirational place, the first of many throughout the country, and I only wish I had the words to do it justice.

Everyone that contributed to the Golf Monthly Forum golf day, should be rightfully proud of their efforts, and I can confirm that sum raised of £11,500 is in safe hands, and will help make a difference to our heroes. James Burns at H4H is still amazed that so much was raised through one days golf.

Rick, I missed you today mate, and I know you would have been emotional to see where the money you have raised over the last three years has gone. I personally am very proud to have made a small contribution to this years charity golf day, and to have represented the forum today.

Richard

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Martin, we did take one 'publicity' photo, which I will put on the thread when my daughter shows me how !! Didn't feel right taking general pictures though, as the place is very low key if you know what I mean.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Its no wonder you raised loads of money, it was a superbly organised golf day, held at a lovely venue with special people., for a wonderful cause!

Well done!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Good report Rich,
As you said its an amazing cause,i was glad to be part of the day.
Thats an amazing amount of money thats been raised over the years.
True heroes

tyke

Head Pro
Visit site
Great report richart, i can only echo your sentiments that tedworth house is an absolutely fantastic centre for our injured to be rehabilitated.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Sounds heartbreaking, you must've felt so proud (and humble) to have helped.

Kudos to you.. and Rick of course, for all you did :cheers:

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Many thanks Richard for sharing your day with an inspiring write up. It's always nice to know what happens behind the scene's, so to speak.

A real shame that Rick couldn't join you after putting so much effort and organisation in to make it all happen, and likewise to yourself and everybody at Blackmoor Golf Club. :thup:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Excellent report Richard.

A superb day at an excellent course for a wonderful cause that I can personally relate to.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Top Stuff to all involved in making the day happen, alot of unselfish work , just goes to show there is nothing as strong as People Power & peoples goodwill can do wonders

To all involved in the day .. TAKE A BOW .. well done one & all :thup: :cheers:

HotDogAssassin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for this Richart, a good read and nice to hear of the appreciation from H4H which doesn't come close to the level of appreciation that I have for the servicemen and women that are the recipients of the care. The golf day in October was my personal highlight of the golfing year, thanks again to all the organisers.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Excellent writeup Rich, I'm feeling quite choked after reading that :confused:

But let's not stop at one annual H4H day.

I think that EVERY formal forum meet should introduce some sort of 'H4H levy', even if it's only a couple of quid per head. I wouldn't go as far as suggesting every friendly 4ball but if you look at all the proper meets that are arranged, we could add a lot more money to the charity coffers.

So, c'mon folks, what do you reckon??

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Really great write up and well done again to you and Rick for organising an excellent day for a great cause.

is there any chance of some of this follow up story making it in to the magazine? I ask because I feel, and I may be alone in this, that the one page in the forum section does not do this event justice. More publicity means more funds raised and I would have liked to have seen a link to the just giving page to see if readers wanted to contribute as well as some mention of the companies that got involved so as they may come back next year. There was not even a picture of the excellent trophy that had so much meaning.

Sorry if it is inappropriate to post in this way but to me this is the single biggest thing that the forum does each year and it has raised an unprecedented amount for an excellent cause and I felt that some coverage outside the forum section would be appropriate.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Really great write up and well done again to you and Rick for organising an excellent day for a great cause.

is there any chance of some of this follow up story making it in to the magazine? I ask because I feel, and I may be alone in this, that the one page in the forum section does not do this event justice. More publicity means more funds raised and I would have liked to have seen a link to the just giving page to see if readers wanted to contribute as well as some mention of the companies that got involved so as they may come back next year. There was not even a picture of the excellent trophy that had so much meaning.

Sorry if it is inappropriate to post in this way but to me this is the single biggest thing that the forum does each year and it has raised an unprecedented amount for an excellent cause and I felt that some coverage outside the forum section would be appropriate.

Wot He Said

Fragger

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Wot He Said

Fragger

I would have thought as 1 mod has raised some good points above relating to a more in depth "follow-up" and another mod has seconded them, and as you both have a dotted line to Mike, why not raise the points with him?

I was surprised not to see a picture of the trophy and its significance within the article in GM and there was no mention of Gokart either! I realise that editorial space is a premium, however, the main picture could have been half the size and still had an impact allowing for more editorial acknowledgements to be given which secures and helps when approaching those companies next year for more continued support.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
image003-1-1.jpg

Photo outside Tedworth House as promised. I am on the left and Robin Williams on the right. It would have been nice to have included James Burns from H4H, but he had to be the camera man !

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I would have thought as 1 mod has raised some good points above relating to a more in depth "follow-up" and another mod has seconded them, and as you both have a dotted line to Mike, why not raise the points with him?

I was surprised not to see a picture of the trophy and its significance within the article in GM and there was no mention of Gokart either! I realise that editorial space is a premium, however, the main picture could have been half the size and still had an impact allowing for more editorial acknowledgements to be given which secures and helps when approaching those companies next year for more continued support.

It was strange that there was no picture of Robin (Fish) collecting the superb trophy from Rick, but there was one of the Blackmoor team, all non Forumers.:confused: Perhaps Tiger can throw some light on this ?

I do have a few programmes left over from the day, so if anyone would like one, PM me with you address and I will post out.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Not bothered about seeing my ugly mug shot but a picture of the actual trophy and the story behind the Alvis Challenger Ball and a mention for GoKart I thought would have been appropriate.

I'm trying to get a copy done of the trophy so I have something to keep as a memento.