Hedgehog wheels

G

guest100718

After being forced to buy hedgehog wheels if we wanted to use our trolleys over the winter, we are now being told they are bad for the course and are banned...

Fortuneatly I only bought the ones that stretch over your wheels off ebay for a tenner, but others have stumped up fair bit for the official ones from their trolley maker.

I am glad I am leaving!

D

Deleted member 18121

I'd be interested to know how many wouldn't/couldn't play over winter if they had to carry.

G

guest100718

They are saying its ok to use normal wheels unless stated otherwise, there will be days of carry only, which for some will mean no golf.

Although I know at a friends course they do allow those who really cant carry to continue to use trollies.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't play if I had to carry.

Are the hedgehogs just for electric trolleys and why do people insist on them? I have a push trolley on normal wheels and I can't see why hedgehog wheels would be better. I presume there is a reason. No ranting, genuine question.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd probably have to pack up, so I'd probably and regrettably turn nomadic as I wouldn't pay over £1k for about 7 months golf

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'd probably have to pack up, so I'd probably and regrettably turn nomadic as I wouldn't pay over £1k for about 7 months golf

dont go to Scotland then, that sums up most inland courses unless you like muddy squelchy courses with winter greens:angry:

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Likely I wouldn't play, don't enjoy playing if carrying anymore.

Normal wheels tend to skid on the top and rip grass up because they don't get traction. Hedgehogs have better traction and so not as much surface damage .... probably better for your trolley battery too.

Hickory_Hacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
After being forced to buy hedgehog wheels if we wanted to use our trolleys over the winter, we are now being told they are bad for the course and are banned...

Fortuneatly I only bought the ones that stretch over your wheels off ebay for a tenner, but others have stumped up fair bit for the official ones from their trolley maker.

I am glad I am leaving!

Who is it that's telling you that they're bad?

Bad as in that they are causing more damage?

Where is it that you are leaving?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
We used to have to use hedgehog wheels pretty much religiously from the beginning of October until March/April. We changed head greenkeeper last year and it was announced halfway through the winter that they were not needed unless it was frosty but the decision would be made on an ad hoc basis. This year there has been no mention at all about going back to hedgehogs. The concensus is that the new head greenkeeper does not see the benefit in them and the rules have been subtly changed so as there were fewer complaints from those who had bought a set. I am not too worried either way as the set for my Go-Kart were not overly expensive. That said, I would rather it was all or nothing as it is a pain changing the wheels over and it is easier just to do it once a year.

MilesOverPar

Visit site
It seems 50:50 as to whether hedgehogs are good or bad - and often depends on just how boggy the course is - but proper and varied roping off is often more effective. The key is to spread the traffic rather than just moving it away from sensitive areas.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I'd be interested to know how many wouldn't/couldn't play over winter if they had to carry.

I'd love to be able to carry but a dodgy back/hip/neck/shoulder and a dicky ticker mean carrying is a no-no. I'd spend the winter on the range, returning to the course when a ban was lifted.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We go to Hedgehogs from next Monday.
They can cause a bit of damage in certain high traffic areas but generally they don't seem to be a problem.
Haviing said that I'm going to try carrying again as I'm getting fed up with muddy wheels!

nta73

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i would carry no probs as i cant (as yet) get Hedgehogs for my trolley. But not come across this on any of my local courses yet.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
No hedgehogs needed at our place..

Can see the advantage of them in frosty weather as they have less surface area but then to me this is a detriment as in none frosty weather they have less surface are to spread the load of the trolley so therefore inflict more compaction. The wheel without hedgehogs spreads that loads so much better.