Hearing aids.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anyone one got experience of hearing aids ,NHS and private?
I have used the NHS for many years and they have been adequate but a few days holiday with my young grandchildren have made me aware of how much I miss when playing with them.
Cannot afford the very expensive ones but wondered if any forum members have relatives that use aids from the High St suppliers.
No mickey taking please,I know I am wearing out!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My mum gets digital hearing aids via the NHS, has done for a number of years now. She asked about going private and whether their hearing aids would be better. She was told no. The person she spoke to may be wrong of course. What makes you think the one's bought privately will be better? Not being funny, genuine question.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
eh?

Though seriously - I dunno. I should probably be considering a hearing aid myself...as hearing on left side ain't so good. I blame being too close to Harrier jump jets at Farnborough Air Show without ear plugs over too many years. So interested in thoughts others have.

Last edited:

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i wear two aids,NHS variety and have asked the same question as the op about wether the private versions are better than the NHS .
i spoke to a guy who repairs hearing aids for a living ,he said the NHS ones are every bit as good as the private for actual hearing ,but the private ones are better for being a little more concealed and not noticeable.
the biggest downer on private aids is the absolutely disgusting mark up they make.

teetime75

Medal Winner
Visit site
Previously to wearing NHS aids - I have two behind the ear model - I wore

private also behind the ear. No change from £2800

My experience has been,The private ones may be slightly better

cosmeticaly? but there is no difference at all in percieved hearing.

In crowded restaurants none of them work,you may hear,with

difficulty, what the person sat next to you is saying,but the rest of

the chatter goes over your head.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks guys for the constuctive posts.
As stated I have only ever had NHS aids and it seems I will just have to accept the limitations of deafness.
I asked the question on behalf of my long suffering wife who acts as my translator.
After a 5 day visit to Switzerland visiting our young grandchildren and shepherding me through customs and security I think she was hopeful of some technological advances.
I have just returned from my local audiology dept and need to get some wax removed before I have a hearing test!
Pilot error then.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was tested and fitted by Hidden Hearing in Glasgow for 2 hidden type hearing aids, cost £3998.00
After about 6 return visits for adjustments I still wasn't happy with them. I returned them within the allowed time limit of 6 weeks, with a full refund.

I have one NHS over ear type that helps at home , both were useless in crowded places with music.

Last edited:

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've been wearing hearing aids for nearly 30 years, since I was in my late 20's.
in the late 80's NH ones could do nothing for me. I went private and it cost me £1400 for the pair even in those days. I had in the ear analogue ones as digital had not been invented then. After another pair I then got digital for about £2400 I think...much better but still not anywhere near perfect. I baulked at the price of a pair costing over £4000 in about the millennium time, by now NH were issuing digital and I went to them. I was given behind the ear, I have to say I much preferred the in the ear type as now I wear glasses I have to choose frames with thin arms.
Purely cost drove me to the NH (now I can afford golf club membership) I found the NH ones only slightly worse but as I have come to terms with the fact that I will never hear high frequencies, above 3500 Hertz, it is not much difference. You could blast 200 db of 5 Khtz in my ear and I still would not hear it! But I can still hear many low freq sound without my aids although not nearly as well as most people.
I can't hear alarms or even the bells on my course that indicate it is safe to tee off on a blind tee shot.

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
I am a hearing behind ear aid user also. I found out in my early 20s that I could not high freqency sounds, this got worse and in my 50s found it difficult in meetings at work and noisy environments. I started with NHS then went over to private as I'm lucky enough to be able to afford them. I'm 58 this year and been wearing them for about the last 4-5 years. My hearing is getting worse the aids I have are at there limit so thinking about new ones. Would reccomend them to anyone, they are a pain to flap about with but the benefits out weigh that. I wear then on the golf course without any major problems and everywhere else also. I wear glasses also generally for work and contact lenses for golf and weekends etc saves another thing to flap about with

I brought mine through an indipendent rather than a chain, he has been more than helpful an aftercare service second to none

Hope this is of help to you

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Mum-in-law had two in private bought ear ones for many years, updating them every so often during that time. She decided to try the NHS ones, and got fitted. She then tried both over a period of weeks and said she couldn't tell the difference.