Heads gone... Where now?

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi all, been a while since I played due to what can only be described as a mental block. Was never much good got down to 18 then had a case of swing yips.

Gave up for 3 years, went beack up the range the last week, one out of 3 visits was decent. Played yesterday, 1st hole bogey 5, not bad.... Then the head we t, swing vanished and it was a case of just hit the bloody thing. Fats, thins, air shots even with the putter!!!

I am tempted to sell the clubs and say balls to it. I know I will need to go back and probably start from scratch with lessons and rebuild from there, any other suggestions or recommendations?

Funny thing was the few good shots were great so it is in there, just the grey matter getting in the way

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Unless you're a really good player, you're not going to return from 3 years out and play with any degree of competence.
You've got to build it up.
Reduce the expectations and don't worry about the score for a while.
You may be trying to hit the case off the ball. Slow things down and smooth it out.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its why i walked away 3 years ago so not due to the break. Started before the Irish Craic, almost like panic over the ball... I know its just a hobby and means nothing so god knows why

Even an easy putt, ease back then either cant make the stroke or its 90 mile an hour and an air shot!

Practice swings or putts lovely, get over the ball and not happening

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Man ease up. I'm a pretty competent golfer, but suspect if I never hit a ball for 3 years, I would struggle badly. This game is not easy. Set realistic expectations and goals if you want to and enjoy playing golf. If you don't enjoy it find something else. No point torturing yourself.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Dear OP - fret ye not

I have just had three weeks without swinging a club as been on holiday. Went out late yesterday afternoon for a few holes in the dull drizzly dreichness . Tee shot on first nearly cleared the front of the teeing ground; 2nd shot went 20yds. It got better pretty quickly thereafter- but I am single figure h/cap after all :)

So after 3 yrs and getting down to 18 h/cap - really rubbish holes and rubbish rounds are to be expected at first. But it'll pass. Bash on - and when that first birdie drops you'll wonder why your head was so negative.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
What changed to make you head for the range and course again after 3 years? Perhaps you need to work that out and tap into that desire to play. You can't have had any expectations so expect the worst and hopefully it will be better than that.

If not then why bother? It's a hobby and is meant to be fun and enjoyable. When that stops, stop.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sure isn't. I came back recently from a month out and have been seriously lacking in consistency compared to where I was!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it is just a simple thing about going out and enjoy yourself without worrying about it.

I know lots of guys who are never going to have a handicap less than 20 despite playing for absolutely years but carry on regardless.

My brother is the best example . We both started to play around the same time, about 40 years ago, I think he has never broken 100 in the 40 years he has played but still gets out whenever he can and enjoys it.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There’s a fourball at my club and all of them are rubbish.
When asked why they still play they said “ it better than sitting in the house, going shopping , gardening etc”
Golf a pint and pie with the lads what’s not to like ?
Do you have this in other aspects of your life or is it just golf, some lads would love to get to 18.
We all hit bad shots even the pros it’s how you react that counts.
Hope you work it out.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
While the below reads like just a physical issue it is definitely had a pile of mental stuff to work through too

I had a PB round then two weeks later broke wrist, then:
1-3 months until healed, restricted to putting and not much else, tried playing and couldn’t make 20 points
3-6 months wrist healed but weak & wondering why I can’t hit a ball straight anymore and have a huge slice, averaging mid 20’s pts
6-9 months discovered some form but not consistent enough to get back to handicap, one round of 36 points gives me renewed hope
Month 10 – hit buffer last week for just the 2nd time this year, next target to beat handicap again

I was out of golf for less than three months and regressed about 50% in that time and its taken 6 months to get nearly back, you've been out 3 years!

Difference is that through treatment etc I know my wrist is now 90% fixed... but not sure if you've got your mind issue 90% fixed yet in order to have the ability to play to buffer (and while its nice to tap into the resource and knowledge on this forum in the same way I knew none of them could've healed my wrist for me and I had to go see a pro... and I suspect none of the guys/gals here can fix your mind either)

I think you need to have a pro 'diagnose' your mental block issue first to understand what the problem is you need to work through (& see if it is the swing yips you describe) and then don't rush the 'treatment'

All that just to say, go have a guy look at your swing.... :eek:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
already consulted my old Pro for a group of lessons. Once a modicum of consistency and confidence returns then I will be just right. Its heartening to know I am not alone and after a couple of days reflection, its only a game so why worry :)

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all, been a while since I played due to what can only be described as a mental block. Was never much good got down to 18 then had a case of swing yips.

Gave up for 3 years, went beack up the range the last week, one out of 3 visits was decent. Played yesterday, 1st hole bogey 5, not bad.... Then the head we t, swing vanished and it was a case of just hit the bloody thing. Fats, thins, air shots even with the putter!!!

I am tempted to sell the clubs and say balls to it. I know I will need to go back and probably start from scratch with lessons and rebuild from there, any other suggestions or recommendations?

Funny thing was the few good shots were great so it is in there, just the grey matter getting in the way

Chill.
Play for fun, laugh at your bad shots and embrace the few decent ones (I speak from experience). Play with mates and enjoy the round. Sure if your relaxed and playing for fun you'll play better and enjoy it more. Stick a quid on the front, back and overall and enjoy taking the money if you ever do.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Steve,

I know how you feel, my game went completely in the wrong direction, from 12hc to 19, and that's without a break. Try not to think about numbers, enjoyment should take priority. It worked for me, I'm collecting two trophies on Presentation night, one of which is a major, so my name will be on the winners board for eternity.

David Lake

www.1irongolf.com
Relax, make sure there is plenty of beer in the cart, and then just enjoy yourself. I am guessing that you are thinking about your swing and so forth way too much while playing which only leads to disaster on the course. Do not worry because it will come to you naturally after a few rounds.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A lot of good advice there OP and I wouldn’t argue with it, I have gone winters without touching a club and it’s like starting again in March, 3 years is very significant!

I wonder if there’s something else though. Let’s put aside ability for a second. When you go out, what’s going on with regards your mindset - specifically have you ever on the course thought about what you’re going to have to tell other people about the game you’ve just had? I’m just wondering what value you’re attaching to your golf.

I could be up the wrong tree entirely!