Have you got an answer?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm sitting here wandering where its all gone wrong.

I was meant to move house on Friday but because of the weather it will now be Tuesday.

It will be 4 days before I can get to the gym.

The kids school was closed for 2 days.

The wife couldn't get to work for 2 days.

Luckily its the weekend otherwise it would be 2 more days.

We currently live a mile from the town centre.

All the roads to our house have 6 inches of snow and ice on and there has not been any sign of any gritters.

The question is where are the gritters keeping all roads open.
Everything has come to a standstill,life actually stops and obviously it could be worse,it seems however we are not and probably never be ready for a worse case.
Councils budgets have been slashed although it would also seem money is being wasted in other areas.
In the summer grass verges were overgrown like never before because of more cuts.

The main crux of this is movement,it seems that we have to just sit here and wait it out.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
They are dealing with the main roads.

It will all have melted by Monday - I couldn't see the lawn here first thing but it will be clear by the end of today!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Bucks CC go out of their way to tell us that they only grit about 45% of all roads in the County.
It's main roads and majors is routes only. They tell it straight. They don't have the money to grit every road.
And it's not as of this happens every year....
I use a website with access to traffic cameras around here and the major routes look like it hasn't snowed at all yet we have a couple of inches on our road..
Back in December when we had several inches it only took a couple of days forming all to melt and this will be no different.

D

Deleted member 16999

You and your loved ones are safe, the rest can wait mate :thup:

D

Deleted member 3432

Could be worse and be without electricity....

DCB

Visit site
It's winter, there's been a winter storm. What else are you expecting. It's an annual occurrence for some rural areas up here every year.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I moved here 30 years ago one of the choices of where to live was Taunton.

I am glad we did not choose it, the weather difference just 20 miles due East is quite amazing. Not just this week, not really a lot of difference except that you can now walk round our local roads easily and drive with a bit of care.

Years of travelling over to the M5 has shown up the difference.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ps I do not know which depot is responsible for the M5 but I bet it got a higher priority for gritting.

Motorways and trunk roads in the UK are the responsibility of National Government agencies whilst local roads are the responsibility of local councils.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
This winter has been particularly bad for snow, but even then it was only this week where there was enough snow to cause major disruption.

The fact is that we don’t get this type of weather often enough to warrant spending millions on equipment that will rarely be used.

Airports dont have a fleet of snow ploughs, local authorities will have a few ploughs / gritters, obviously fewer as you move further south and it seems no one has smaller appliances for clearing pavements.

just need to put up with losing a few days every 6 or 7 years.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Bad luck that the snow scuppered the move on the proposed date but it's been forecast well in advance and while I know you wouldn't have been able to change anything at that late stage it shouldn't have come as any great surprise. As for moaning about missing the gym, really? Is it that important in the scheme of things? As long as you and your family are safe, together and warm what does it matter

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
One of the reasons I don't want to ever live in Scotland or anywhere north of where I live now.

:rofl: :rofl:

I'm 250 miles north, no snow (as has been the case for the last 15 years or so), no shortages and will be playing golf this weekend :thup:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
:rofl: :rofl:

I'm 250 miles north, no snow (as has been the case for the last 15 years or so), no shortages and will be playing golf this weekend :thup:

Shhhhhh. Don't tell them!! It might blow their minds to realise that the likelihood of snow is not just latitude related 😂