Have you ever...........................

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
When I was at Crowborough years ago, I used to put my name down for all the inter club matches.
Turned up one day and it turned out it was a scratch match against another local club, all the players were playing in the Davies and Tate competition.
I was off 14 at the time, my partner was a 2 handicapper, the opposition were a 2 and 3 handicap.
I did play quite well, one of the opponents turned round to me after 5 or 6 holes and said "I'd hate to play you off your full handicap".
We lost 2&1 and I didn't disgrace myself.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I'm the worst player in most 4balls I play in to be fair!

Played SAOL with the FiL and BiL who are off scratch and 4 respectively and I have to say I wasn't blown away by their ballstriking etc. However they were very straight, very consistent, and had a fantastic touch around the greens which meant they were getting up and down from anywhere within 50 yards of the green but they weren't ripping it back with spin etc.

The best player I've ever played with was off scratch as a 14 year old and he was in the same junior team as Rory McIlroy before knocking it on the head for 13 years or so. He was a different class, his ball striking was absolutely phenomenal. Watching him play a 130 yard second shot into a par 5, drop it 8ft past the hole and rip it back to a couple of feet was probably the best shot I've seen live and close up.... and then my mate thinned a ball up and knocked it away!

Best part was he was introduced as my mates girlfriends friend who had just moved to the area and was looking at joining a golf club so we had no idea what to expect. When we arrived he was in the nets with shoulder length hair, a battered old polo, some cargo shorts and an old pair of footjoys wielding a pencil bag with about 7 old clubs in... on the first he offered to lead us away and absolutely smoked a 5iron about 220 yards up the fairway. The rest of the group just looked at each other in shock.

D

Deleted member 1147

Yes, but then at our place I'm the 30th lowest handicapper off 2.6.
So when I play with the lowest players I'm 6 shots off the pace before even teeing off.

I also played the final round of our club champ's a few years ago, against a now Challenge Tour player. For the 2 rounds, if we both played to our handicaps, he should have beaten me by 18 shots. I was off 5 he was off +4. I was runner up in the champs, only 6 behind!

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think looking back at it the most impressive thing I found was how long and straight they are with every club, never seemed to hit a really bad shot. I am not the biggest hitter, but I can definitly hold my own. One of them was 2 clubs longer than me and he was using P770 so not even using jacked up lofted clubs. When you are stood on a 190 yard par 3 with a 5i in your hand and your ooponenet is stuck between hitting a 7i or 8i, it's a totally different game they play.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nope. They avoid me ? I did play a 1 HC in match play once. I should had been 3 up at the 4th but sadly wasn't. Lost on the 11th. Turned out he was an Alty fan as well which made it worse