Have to hold my hands up!

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
A while back i posted a thread about club forgiveness and that i thought it was all cloak and daggers stuff... And that Players irons , Blades or Muscle back were easy enough to hit for more players than some might think.....

To be fair ill always hold my hand up when im wrong or when i know that i might not always be right in a certain argument or discussion...:rolleyes:
A few weeks ago i got really down on myself with the way i was playing and began questioning clubs that have got me from a 15 handicap to a 9..... I wasnt craving distance but i craved dispersion and the more i seemed to play poor the more questions i began to ask.... It went on for a few months until i decided enough was enough and something had to give for my sanity...

I had an old set of Ping G15 irons at home that i never really used and because i played the Wilsons for so long i got used to the small size.... Even though they are not minute.... So i traded the Pings for a set of Adams CB3 Pro Blacks second hand.... I only had to pay 20 euro so i thought it was a bargain.... The clubs look neat and iv since seen the benefits of what proper cavities in irons can do....

One issue i had with my Wilsons was that during the wetter months they tended to dig a little more than what i was used to in the better months....But i can say with confidence that a misshit or a slightly thin shot which is my usual miss is a hell of a lot more punishing with the Wilsons than with the Adams.....
I hit a couple of shots this morning with the New irons that would definitely have been penalized with my old irons.... I still have them and to be honest maybe when my game settles down and my swing stops going through the funky changes that it is going through at the moment i may be able to play with them again one day..... But for the future i will be keeping the stuff that will help me...

I still have my Vokey wedges and iv also got rid of the Ping K15's driver and 3 wood that i had....

Im gone back to my 910 which i got with a 12 degree head in now and im much more confident standing on a tee with a driver in my hand......

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just imagine how good you'd be with the G15 irons!!!!;)

Would you believe i actually tried them pal.... But i just couldnt settle over the size of the head..... Im sure they have their pluses and followers... But not for me.....Well not yet anyway..;)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Forgiveness is over-rated.

Every putter thread on here that comes up invariably gets the reply.

Find something you like the look of and practice

No one ever says but the super MOI, counterbalanced, fat gripped, ultra forgiving branding irons that are currently doing the rounds. Just find something you like the look of and practice with it.

Why should it be the same with irons or woods?

D

Deleted member 15344

I wouldnt say its over rated - it has been proven to help strikes not out of the middle of the club.

I dont think you can compare putters with Irons or indeed drivers.

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site

No one ever says but the super MOI, counterbalanced, fat gripped, ultra forgiving branding irons that are currently doing the rounds. Just find something you like the look of and practice with it.

While i would agree with you every day of the week pal... Im witnessing it first hand in the adams.... Theres a little more offset in them that seeems to have the effect of straightening out my flight just a tad..... I caught a 4 iron thin this morning off our 2nd... Its a par 3 173 yards to the green centre with water to carry up to 140 yards.... But its always into a wind.... Pin at the back so i had 181 into a wind..... I hit 4 but didnt catch it right... It was a bit off the toe.... It still made the front of the green... That was definitely wet if it was the wilsons....

I dunno... Maybe its just me... But they have definitely given me a little more confidence off the tee with longer irons.... And the rest of the clubs very accurate....

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I wouldnt say its over rated - it has been proven to help strikes not out of the middle of the club.

I dont think you can compare putters with Irons or indeed drivers.

I know Phil. It was more of a tongue in cheek comment.

Look at the irons I play. Supposedly waaaaaaaay beyond my skill level playing off 14. Didn't stop me hitting a 5 iron to 12ft or splitting the fairway on a par 4 with a 3 iron yesterday.

As for forgiveness. We have a par 3 that's playing towards 175 Yards at the minute, I pulled 4 iron yesterday. Caught it a little high on the face and still finished just short of the green. That's forgiving enough for me.

Of course I hit bad shots (... That's why I'm off 14 :) ) but that's more the monkey swinging the club than the actual club.

I shot 78 yesterday. Would more forgiving clubs have me shooting lower?

Well, unless those more forgiving clubs can 'cure' a duffed gap wedge to a green, a push hybrid off right into the trees or even three putting a green in regulation then I'll stick with what I have.

D

Deleted member 15344

Look at the irons I play. Supposedly waaaaaaaay beyond my skill level playing off 14. Didn't stop me hitting a 5 iron to 12ft or splitting the fairway on a par 4 with a 3 iron yesterday.

As for forgiveness. We have a par 3 that's playing towards 175 Yards at the minute, I pulled 4 iron yesterday. Caught it a little high on the face and still finished just short of the green. That's forgiving enough for me.

Of course I hit bad shots (... That's why I'm off 14 :) ) but that's more the monkey swinging the club than the actual club.

Well, unless those more forgiving clubs can 'cure' a duffed gap wedge to a green, a push hybrid off right into the trees or even three putting a green in regulation then I'll stick with what I have.

If you are happy with your clubs mate then away you go

As far as im aware there is no set standard of club aimed towards any handicap

Look at Westwood - one of the best ball strikings in the game and uses I25's - whereas i have seen a high handicapper play with blades and hit the ball well.

Would more forgiving clubs help your ball striking ? Maybe not the pure shots - but possibly the mishit shots could possibly get a better result but would you be comfy with them ? Possibly not - but as i awalys say - do what ever gives you enjoyment :thup:

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site

Im still agreeing with you pal....:smirk:

I would imagine with me its more of a mental confidence thing.... There were shots that i hit with the wilsons that seemed like there was help there when needed..... But there seems to be even more help with the Adams if that makes any sense... Now maybe i jumped the gun a bit earlier than i should have... But i felt if i didnt it was going to become more mental than physical with me.....

Ok the shafts in the Adams are KBS Tour 90's in stiff... A lot lighter than the S300's in the wilsons.... Bit it seems like i dont have to put as much energy into getting a good outcome with the CB3's over the Wilsons....

I guess it would be much like you hitting an EZ Mizzy over your 63's....

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Just out of interest and sorry if I'm taking this off topic but what is the par for your course?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to say take forgiveness out of the equation for a moment, and I'm a great one for having to like the look of the club and having confidence in it. Part (well most) of the reason I went from my G25 to the I version. I just have more confidence over the ball and they fit my eye better. If you then go back and look at how forgiving they are then it's a perfect match for me.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

You are not swinging a putter through an 20' arc at 85mph though are you. The 'forgiveness' of the putter is less of a concern than the stability.