Have I got The shanks?

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Been to the driving range a couple of times this weekend and from the off I knew something was wrong.

Ball does one of two things:

either a nasty fat slice that goes about thirty yards right or a painful scull which dribbles along the ground for about 40 yards.

Either shot feels like im hitting the ball with a length of hard cane rather than a finely honed tool.

Feels like I imagine it would to hit the ball with the back of the clubs rather than the face!

Can't find any consistency or anything approaching a normal 'club strikes ball and heads into the air ' thing.

Never hit a ball so badly and I mean WAY badly. It's like Ive never hit a golf ball before. Seriously worried.

Is this a shank?

What Can I do about it?

can't help feeling it's something to do with my hands rather than my set up but i'm just speculating. one thing for sure it's off to the pro next week before it has a chance to settle in. I wouldn't dream of going near a golf course until this is sorted- it's a disaster.

bill

flandango

Head Pro
Visit site
Maybe your a little to stiff. Relax more and let your wrists release through the ball. I always imagine driving through and beyond the ball and make sure I see it happen before i lift my head to see where its gone.

Hope this makes sense.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Another thing you can try on the range to get you out of it is taking 3 or 4 shots without looking up to see the ball fly, just look down at the contact point only. Sometimes people can start to look a little early without realising, and often thats enough to alter things. if it does'nt correct after that, see a pro.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds like a timing thing to me. By "fat" slice, do you mean hitting the ground early? If you are doing this one moment and thinning it the next, something's out of kilter.

Do you feel you are getting steep on the way down? If I get like this, I can't time things well at all and can hit both bad shots. I work on shallowing the bottom of the arc.....3 woods off high tees, and as Lead' would say "feel on coming through (with) your right shoulder extending forward under and past your chin. Works for me, but then again, this may not be the trouble.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
billyg, there maybe at least one of several things that could be going on, (none of which I wish to go into here for supersticious reasons) & when suffering from the curse it actually can become a bit of a mental block for a little while, which will get worse before it gets better, but you'll come out the other end of things with or without the help of your pro, but would still advise a visit to your pro anyway as he or she, will be able to help greatly.

As mentioned by others, we've all been there at some time or another. So don't panic & you'll be enjoying your game again before you know it.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rather than guess I'd get professional advice asap. A good pro will spot it in moments and sort you out rather than you try x, y and z and solve one problem and create another

Yes, of course, but I'd put money on it being the problem I've mentioned.......worth a try if the pro's not got any times or you want to take your mind off the "issue" which, in itself, can sometimes cure all sorts.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Hope you get it sorted with the pro...as others have said, he will spot what's going on straight away and get you working on a cure.
From what you describe though, it sounds exactly like the problem I went through for quite a while.
I was "de-celerating" into the ball, rather than whipping through it and it caused exactly the same mis-hits that you are experiencing.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try hitting some half and then 3/4 shots for a while before you go onto full shots, Saturday I was doing almost identicle things and this helped alot!

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
I wouldnt worry, you have all of winter to resolve this issue. We all have rounds or times when it seems we are taking to the course for the first time, if you get lessons go to your pro, if not put your Ipod on at the range and just knock some balls with a steady swing and I am 100% sure you will sort it out.