Has anyone tried any of the new drivers?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
This is what the fitter pretty much said.

I’ve hit enough balls now to know it’s zero improvement on my g425 max. I am now having to change my swing path in order to hit a straight ball. My normal swing will hook the ball 75 yards offline. Surely if this was the right fitting I wouldn’t have to change anything in regards to my swing.

Also, because I’ve been fitted for SFT it almost feels like I’ve gone 1 step forward and 2 steps back. It’s constantly going to be designed for someone with a negative club / path. What happens when I improve my game? I’ll need to then upgrade to the G430 max?

This is pretty disappointing and something I was completely unaware of during my fitting. And one thing I put it down to was how old and used the range balls were compared to the range balls I use at my club. At minimum I was expecting it to travel as far as my previous driver. Being so many yards shorter every drive makes tears roll down my face.
I can't believe that you got fitted for an SFT if your swing is now leading to a 75 yard hook. As I said, it's designed for someone like me, whose swing puts a 40 yard fade (nee slice) on a ball! 75 yards left is huge considering in R&D, the G425 was 20 yards left of centre with the robot testing.
I tested the G425 Max and SFT together at Precision Golf, and the fitter was adamant that while I could play the Max in draw setting, the SFT was more stable for my swing, and until that swing changed, I would struggle with the Max.
I am driving the ball better than ever, and although 10-15 yards shorter than previous drivers, I can still get it out to 220 in winter and 250 in summer, which is good enough for most holes/courses. The difference is it's much, much straighter! Very few 3 off the tee or punching out of trees, which has seem me drop from 13.2 to 9.4!
In summary, I'm really not sure you had a great fitting experience!

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
I can't believe that you got fitted for an SFT if your swing is now leading to a 75 yard hook. As I said, it's designed for someone like me, whose swing puts a 40 yard fade (nee slice) on a ball! 75 yards left is huge considering in R&D, the G425 was 20 yards left of centre with the robot testing.
I tested the G425 Max and SFT together at Precision Golf, and the fitter was adamant that while I could play the Max in draw setting, the SFT was more stable for my swing, and until that swing changed, I would struggle with the Max.
I am driving the ball better than ever, and although 10-15 yards shorter than previous drivers, I can still get it out to 220 in winter and 250 in summer, which is good enough for most holes/courses. The difference is it's much, much straighter! Very few 3 off the tee or punching out of trees, which has seem me drop from 13.2 to 9.4!
In summary, I'm really not sure you had a great fitting experience!

The change in shaft is also a massive difference. I put my new shaft in the g425 and it still had zero improvement, worse if anything.

This 5 gram heavier shaft is just not working for me especially when it comes to distance so unsure if it is creating more spin also.

Bratty

Visit site
That is also fair. I got less spin in the SFT than my Rogue, but only once we got the right shaft (Aldila NV green, 65g stiff), so the shaft will play a role for sure.
How long was the fitting, out of interest?

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
That is also fair. I got less spin in the SFT than my Rogue, but only once we got the right shaft (Aldila NV green, 65g stiff), so the shaft will play a role for sure.
How long was the fitting, out of interest?

Was supposed to be an hour but wrapped up in about 45.

If I’m totally honest with you, I went in to the fitting with my heart set on the SFT without actually hitting it.

After trying the G430 Max , SFT, Stealth 2 and Callaway Paradym I remember going back to the SFT as I hit some nice balls but only when I altered my swing! It’s almost like I was forcing myself to believe this was the right club for me. The shaft did not feel right at the time so asked to try one similar to my previous set up.

He went off the numbers and digits in front of his trackman and said my swing speed was suited for the one he fitted, which is fair and I trusted his guidance.

Believe me, I have tried to get on with it but there comes a point where I have to draw the line and realise it just hasn’t worked.

Teebs

Visit site
Agree regarding range balls. Ping @ Gainsborough is the only place where I've hit proper balls in a fitting (ProV1).

Did make a difference and I'm seeing the ball flight from the range now accurate when playing on course with the same ball.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Why did you change from the g425?

Always had a fade - big miss is a slice.

This is why I’ve gone into the fitting with my heart set on a specific club.

Truth is, my max was pretty much purchased off the shelf so I wanted a ‘proper fitting’ experience. Also the sound of the G425 wasn’t the best. All terrible reasons in hindsight.

Bratty

Visit site

Truth is, my max was pretty much purchased off the shelf so I wanted a ‘proper fitting’ experience. Also the sound of the G425 wasn’t the best. All terrible reasons in hindsight.
If your big miss was a slice, I fail to understand how you now have a 75 yard hook just from the change in head? Mine was the same, but I can still hit a fade/slice when the swing is really bad. I have yet to hit a 75 yard hook! I can pull it, but not hook it.
Follow up question: how high or low are you teeing the ball? That made a huge difference to my numbers - lower was better. Even one of those pink castle tees is now a fraction too high for me.

evemccc

Visit site

Why not pay for a driver-specific lesson? We all go through phases with our swing where we lapse into bad habits unknowingly

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Does

Does the 425 have a movable wait that you can put in the draw setting?
Did you try that and did it soften your fade?

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
If your big miss was a slice, I fail to understand how you now have a 75 yard hook just from the change in head? Mine was the same, but I can still hit a fade/slice when the swing is really bad. I have yet to hit a 75 yard hook! I can pull it, but not hook it.
Follow up question: how high or low are you teeing the ball? That made a huge difference to my numbers - lower was better. Even one of those pink castle tees is now a fraction too high for me.

As said it’s gone from one extreme to the other. And to be fair, I was hooking it at the fitting but my few good shots down the middle with a different swing blocked those out. The pull is always a straight shot left which I can deal with because it’s an obvious set up error, but when the ball starts off straight for 100 yards and then viciously turns left then I know this is a hook.

As for the tees, I’ve never been able to hit anything low as tops creep in and it’s probably one of the most embarrassing shots you can play off the tee. I opt for the orange 70mm tees. Tbh I hit my G425 reasonably well with this set up.

Why not pay for a driver-specific lesson? We all go through phases with our swing where we lapse into bad habits unknowingly

Had a couple in the past. The thing is I will have these lessons and as I’m not playing regular at present I will often forget what I’ve learnt and opt back to my previous set up. Hence wanting a new driver to compensate for not putting the graft in.

Does

Does the 425 have a movable wait that you can put in the draw setting?
Did you try that and did it soften your fade?

It does.

Always had it set to neutral. The fitter never even mentioned moving this 🤦‍♂️

Bratty

Visit site
As said it’s gone from one extreme to the other. And to be fair, I was hooking it at the fitting but my few good shots down the middle with a different swing blocked those out. The pull is always a straight shot left which I can deal with because it’s an obvious set up error, but when the ball starts off straight for 100 yards and then viciously turns left then I know this is a hook.

As for the tees, I’ve never been able to hit anything low as tops creep in and it’s probably one of the most embarrassing shots you can play off the tee. I opt for the orange 70mm tees. Tbh I hit my G425 reasonably well with this set up.

Had a couple in the past. The thing is I will have these lessons and as I’m not playing regular at present I will often forget what I’ve learnt and opt back to my previous set up. Hence wanting a new driver to compensate for not putting the graft in.

It does.

Always had it set to neutral. The fitter never even mentioned moving this 🤦‍♂️
Gotcha.

Re the neutral position:
It's a 26g movevable weight in the Max, compared to a 23g fixed weight in the SFT. The reason for the difference is down to swingweight and head design in each. If your issue is not connected to failing to square the clubface consistently (mine), try moving the weight in the G425 to draw setting and leave the loft alone. You may find that slice becomes a fade... and get even more out of it!

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Gotcha.

Re the neutral position:
It's a 26g movevable weight in the Max, compared to a 23g fixed weight in the SFT. The reason for the difference is down to swingweight and head design in each. If your issue is not connected to failing to square the clubface consistently (mine), try moving the weight in the G425 to draw setting and leave the loft alone. You may find that slice becomes a fade... and get even more out of it!

I would very much like to present these sentiments when I head back to the fitter tonight. Seems obvious now people have mentioned - but is this not something the fitter could have advised me before shelling out close to half a grand on something that could have been ironed out with my previous driver?

Bratty

Visit site
I would very much like to present these sentiments when I head back to the fitter tonight. Seems obvious now people have mentioned - but is this not something the fitter could have advised me before shelling out close to half a grand on something that could have been ironed out with my previous driver?
YES! That's something any good fitter should do from the get-go.
If he'd asked you why you wanted a new driver, and your response had been, I struggle with a slice, his first thing should have been to slide that weight, drop loft and go from there!
Precision Golf state this on their fitting descriptions: "Any of these remedial solutions could be achieved by simply re-shafting your existing club heads", and my fitter was really clear after a few shots with mine to baseline that my need to take out the big miss right couldn't be done with a shaft change only. The Rogue head was never going to help me. A friend did go for a whole wood fitting, and they couldn't do anything to beat his three wood, so they left it alone.

Definitely start the chat tonight those sentiments!

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
YES! That's something any good fitter should do from the get-go.
If he'd asked you why you wanted a new driver, and your response had been, I struggle with a slice, his first thing should have been to slide that weight, drop loft and go from there!
Precision Golf state this on their fitting descriptions: "Any of these remedial solutions could be achieved by simply re-shafting your existing club heads", and my fitter was really clear after a few shots with mine to baseline that my need to take out the big miss right couldn't be done with a shaft change only. The Rogue head was never going to help me. A friend did go for a whole wood fitting, and they couldn't do anything to beat his three wood, so they left it alone.

Definitely start the chat tonight those sentiments!

That really is an eye opener.

Appreciate how people have picked up on this and will definitely mention.

So to put it into perspective I don’t really need a new driver and whoever fitted me seems to be on a commission based salary 👀

Bratty

Visit site
That really is an eye opener.

Appreciate how people have picked up on this and will definitely mention.

So to put it into perspective I don’t really need a new driver and whoever fitted me seems to be on a commission based salary 👀
Well, do any of us ever really NEED a new driver? 😉🤣

I think a truerer statement is that you hadn't been helped to explore all options with your current driver, and you don't believe the fitter tried to help you do that.

I can't comment on the commission bit, but it's worth keeping up your sleeve as a final negotiation aid! 😉

Hope it turns out okay for you, mate.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Well, do any of us ever really NEED a new driver? 😉🤣

I think a truerer statement is that you hadn't been helped to explore all options with your current driver, and you don't believe the fitter tried to help you do that.

I can't comment on the commission bit, but it's worth keeping up your sleeve as a final negotiation aid! 😉

Hope it turns out okay for you, mate.

Nice one buddy. Lots of sense around here 🤣

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hence wanting a new driver to compensate for not putting the graft in.
And therein lies the rub. The R&A stipulates all sorts of restrictions which prevents club makers making such a club (or ball).
If the fitter sold you a club and implied that it was possible, I think he was being disingenuous.
But surely, deep down, we all know this. But still hand over the cash.