Hard v Soft Balls

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The thread about which ball to use/favourite has got me thinking about what makes a ball hard or soft. I know they are ranked by compression, with the lower the number, the softer the ball. But how is compression measured and is one 80 ball the same as another manufactures? We all know there is no industry standard for stiffness of shaft, but is this the same for balls? Also is the scale of compression linear? By this I mean is the gap between a 80 and 85 ball the same as a 85 and a 90 ball?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably does mean the same thing as hardness testing machines will probably be standardised and I cannot see a ball manufacturer making their own machine.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think what you're asking makes any sense. Shafts are labelled 'regular' 'stiff' etc hence why they can vary as it's a subjective labelling by the manufacturer. But the compression numbers - I don't even know what unit it's in to be honest with you - but to say 80 compression balls could be different is like saying one 30cm ruler is longer than another 30cm ruler isn't it?? Sure they can have different other characteristics, but the compression is the compression. Then again I've had 32 inch waist shorts that were too big and others I couldn't get on so who knows. :LOL:

I Googled it and this seems relevant: https://www.tgw.com/golf-guide/golf-ball-compression-ratings-dont-matter/

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think what you're asking makes any sense. Shafts are labelled 'regular' 'stiff' etc hence why they can vary as it's a subjective labelling by the manufacturer. But the compression numbers - I don't even know what unit it's in to be honest with you - but to say 80 compression balls could be different is like saying one 30cm ruler is longer than another 30cm ruler isn't it?? Sure they can have different other characteristics, but the compression is the compression. Then again I've had 32 inch waist shorts that were too big and others I couldn't get on so who knows. :LOL:

I Googled it and this seems relevant: https://www.tgw.com/golf-guide/golf-ball-compression-ratings-dont-matter/
You sort of contradict your own argument here. A cm is a recognised unit of measurement so everyone knows what a cm is. However, as you say, no one seems to know what units compression is measured in so how do we know 80 Titleist equals 80 Srixon?

Ands the link you supplied states:
Every golf ball maker uses a different standard for their test. Compression is measured when a static load is applied to the ball and how much the ball is deformed under that standard load is the rating. Not every manufacturer applies the same static load to their golf balls. Not every manufacturer assigns the same value to one compression point as the ball deforms. Simply put, a golf ball may rate as a 60 in one test, a 70 in another, and a 55 in another. Compression tests are so specific to each company that they really cannot be compared across the board. Compression ratings are not a like-for-like comparison

So it is all a load of rubbish!:confused:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You sort of contradict your own argument here. A cm is a recognised unit of measurement so everyone knows what a cm is. However, as you say, no one seems to know what units compression is measured in so how do we know 80 Titleist equals 80 Srixon?

Ands the link you supplied states:
Every golf ball maker uses a different standard for their test. Compression is measured when a static load is applied to the ball and how much the ball is deformed under that standard load is the rating. Not every manufacturer applies the same static load to their golf balls. Not every manufacturer assigns the same value to one compression point as the ball deforms. Simply put, a golf ball may rate as a 60 in one test, a 70 in another, and a 55 in another. Compression tests are so specific to each company that they really cannot be compared across the board. Compression ratings are not a like-for-like comparison

So it is all a load of rubbish!:confused:
I mean, it obviously is a unit because they use some sort of compacting machine to measure it. They don't just give it a squeeze and go "hmm.. about 80 I reckon".

https://www.tekscan.com/blog/pressure-mapping/what-compression-force - Newtons perhaps?

And yeah I suppose manufacturers can say whatever - but Titleist for example don't even state what compression their golf balls are. If you look at the MyGolfSpy ball test for example, they will be applying their own test to all of the balls, so those numbers are comparable.
https://mygolfspy.com/best-golf-balls-2021/

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you look at the MyGolfSpy ball test for example, they will be applying their own test to all of the balls, so those numbers are comparable.
https://mygolfspy.com/best-golf-balls-2021/
This is the right way, 3rd party test that is equal to all or release an iso std that they all measure to.
The compression though is only 1 part of the discussion.
The surface layer and it’s aero properties build up the other parts.
The driver/ flatter faced clubs will be mostly affected by compression and the aero.

sunshine

Visit site

80 is just a number, there’s no standard rules for measurement. In the same way that a 7 iron will have a different loft depending on the manufacturer.

Manufacturers don’t generally label the compression these days, in the same way irons typically don’t have the degrees of loft on them. There are other factors which influence the decision

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
80 is just a number, there’s no standard rules for measurement. In the same way that a 7 iron will have a different loft depending on the manufacturer.

Manufacturers don’t generally label the compression these days, in the same way irons typically don’t have the degrees of loft on them. There are other factors which influence the decision
I got my club pro to measure my 1961 Forgan set.
The 7-iron is 36 1/4 inch long and 38 degrees loft.
This is exactly the same specs as a standard Sim Max 9-iron.

Q: What did you hit to that par 3?
A: Oh shut up!

Compression of golf balls (and how they apply to your game) will mean different things to different people, different clubs, swing speeds etc. Find one that suits you more than the others.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So the short answer to my question is it is all witchcraft and smoke and smoke and mirrors :eek:

Or, as they used to say on QI - Nobody Knows!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
No idea whether the measurement is the same for all manufacturers. Tom the Titleist man at H4H spoke to me about compression a bit when he asked me what ball I normally used and I said Bridgestone. He mentioned that the compression was their main marketing ploy but was all pretty much irrelevant as it only applies to the driver. Everything else we use, is played with lower swing speeds and even different clubs for the same distance depending on the player ability/ brand etc. You won't get the same compression on the ball with a 7 iron or a PW, and for short game, even the pro's with much faster swing speeds than us, will likely play a similar slow chip that we do. So the compression thing is just a marketing ploy. Hope I haven't confused what I remember with what he actually said :).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No idea whether the measurement is the same for all manufacturers. Tom the Titleist man at H4H spoke to me about compression a bit when he asked me what ball I normally used and I said Bridgestone. He mentioned that the compression was their main marketing ploy but was all pretty much irrelevant as it only applies to the driver. Everything else we use, is played with lower swing speeds and even different clubs for the same distance depending on the player ability/ brand etc. You won't get the same compression on the ball with a 7 iron or a PW, and for short game, even the pro's with much faster swing speeds than us, will likely play a similar slow chip that we do. So the compression thing is just a marketing ploy. Hope I haven't confused what I remember with what he actually said :).
You can probably feel the difference with the putter as well as driver. But that would just be a feel preference rather than distance related. Well, it could be distance related in terms of feet and inches over the green. ?

D

Deleted member 23270

So it seems that an 80 compression Titleist is softer than a 90 Titleist but that bears no resemblance to other manufacturers :unsure:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I've gone back to the srixon q star tour in the last few weeks and I definitely notice they do not stop as quickly as the prov1 I have been using, there is a difference in the compression between them. The srixon def seems to go further in the colder conditions I've found of late comp to the pro v

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
You can probably feel the difference with the putter as well as driver. But that would just be a feel preference rather than distance related. Well, it could be distance related in terms of feet and inches over the green. ?

I don't think the putter feel is anywhere near related to compression. There's no way you're going to hit the ball hard enough to compress with a putter.

I agree that different balls do feel soft or clicky (hard?) off the putter face but think that is more about the cover than the compression.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I don't think the putter feel is anywhere near related to compression. There's no way you're going to hit the ball hard enough to compress with a putter.

I agree that different balls do feel soft or clicky (hard?) off the putter face but think that is more about the cover than the compression.

The sound has more to do with perceived feel than most people would like to admit.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
The testing that those like mygolfspy has done has raised those potentially amusing situations.

"I'd never use a rock like that {insert budget ball here}, I'm sticking with my premium Pro IV X left dash"

Where the premium may be notionally firmer ?

Of course, covers, mantles, layers etc. all may play a part in the perception.

As others have said, experiment and use what you like.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
So it seems that an 80 compression Titleist is softer than a 90 Titleist but that bears no resemblance to other manufacturers :unsure:
Going by what the manufacturers say..probably correct
But going by an independent measure, as mentioned..the MyGolfSpy Ball Lab is a good source of info.
Multiple balls from each model of each manufacturer have been measured, weighed, compression tested and cut open to try and get a standard of measurement.
So if MGS say a ProV1 is, say, 90 compression and a TP5x is 105 then you can be sure the TP5x is harder.

D

Deleted member 23270

Going by what the manufacturers say..probably correct
But going by an independent measure, as mentioned..the MyGolfSpy Ball Lab is a good source of info.
Multiple balls from each model of each manufacturer have been measured, weighed, compression tested and cut open to try and get a standard of measurement.
So if MGS say a ProV1 is, say, 90 compression and a TP5x is 105 then you can be sure the TP5x is harder.
That is all well and good but it doesn't clarify anything. If I pick up a box of Srixon distance and Titleist velocity how do I know which is harder without googling it? A standardised scale would be useful for those choosing which ball to 'game'.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've gone back to the srixon q star tour in the last few weeks and I definitely notice they do not stop as quickly as the prov1 I have been using, there is a difference in the compression between them. The srixon def seems to go further in the colder conditions I've found of late comp to the pro v

odd that I found the Prov1 goes further than the QStar Tour

QStar - 2 rounds
Prov1 3 rounds
:ROFLMAO:

Ditto to comments about the spin