Happy Thursday

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The evils of Maggie - she did more for this country than anyone since Churchill and Attlee - and helped it recover from being bankrupt by labour and the unions in the 1970s. Being bankrupt is a common theme with Labour, as the Torrioes found out in 2010! Both sides of this campaign have been awful in behaviour and lies but I trust Corbyn, Abbot and the entire labour Government less than expired sushi and would sooner have a prostate exam from Edward Scissor hands than see them bankrupt this country that so many fought and worked for

I absolutely back this 100%, she was the only person who could stand up to the unions, who wanted to close the country down, and boy did she bring the Country forward, she sorted out the EU and made it possible for people to buy their own houses and tons more things - best PM that I've seen and lived and worked through

www.hiltonpark.net
don't forget flogged off all the countrys Nationalised Industries for bugger all to Dennis's mates in the city and sold all the council houses causing the housing shortage we have now.... but hay she cut tax(y)
Don't forget she deregulated the banks which actually bankrupted country. I've never voted Labour but this argument they're fiscally inept compared to the Tories is bogus. One of the Tories great tricks was to lower interest rates in the lead up to an election and it didn't matter if the economy could take it or not. The fiscally irresponsible Labour party put an end to this by making it the responsibility of the BofE.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lets get rid of the selfish party today, labour, Liberals, Plaid Cymru, SNP - anyone but the tories. The party never ever had much shame, but they have reached new levels.

Imagine the SNP ruling the rest of us, that would be a laugh.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Interesting. Perhaps if Labour win they will sort it...

ELkS0iNW4AAi-Ug

D

Deleted member 25172

I don't want to derail the thread too much, but a lot about the "great" stuff about Sweden isn't that great. And looking at the prognosis for the coming years, it's not very good either as Sweden is set to have the lowest GDP growth out of all EU countries.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
We should be looking at this election and voting for the best person (in our opinion) for the job, the one who stands out from the crowd.

Instead I have the feeling that we are being asked to vote for the least gammy leper in the colony.

What a dreadful indictment on this sorry bunch of chancers and shysters.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't forget she deregulated the banks which actually bankrupted country. I've never voted Labour but this argument they're fiscally inept compared to the Tories is bogus. One of the Tories great tricks was to lower interest rates in the lead up to an election and it didn't matter if the economy could take it or not. The fiscally irresponsible Labour party put an end to this by making it the responsibility of the BofE.

the banking industry is a massive earner for this country, helping offset out trade deficit, raking in billions a year that help towards the NHS etc. And, if you want blame, there was 12 years of Labour government before the banking collapse and Gordon Brown who bailed them out - which was the correct thing tpo do as the crisis could have completely spiralled out of control. If Labour wanted to tighten policies for the banks they could have. Independance is for the BOE is to be fully supported.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't want to derail the thread too much, but a lot about the "great" stuff about Sweden isn't that great. And looking at the prognosis for the coming years, it's not very good either as Sweden is set to have the lowest GDP growth out of all EU countries.

i only mentioned Sweden to highlight the strong macro borrowing rules which are respected by both sides

www.hiltonpark.net
the banking industry is a massive earner for this country, helping offset out trade deficit, raking in billions a year that help towards the NHS etc. And, if you want blame, there was 12 years of Labour government before the banking collapse and Gordon Brown who bailed them out - which was the correct thing tpo do as the crisis could have completely spiralled out of control. If Labour wanted to tighten policies for the banks they could have. Independance is for the BOE is to be fully supported.
They could have and should have. Again, I've never voted Labour but this finger pointing in their direction when the mess emanated from a Tory policy is really poor. It's the same with Brexit this mess has been Tory a thing in the making for decades but somehow through a right wing media it seems to be planted on people like Corbyn. The financial crash and the Brexit debacle were both of Tory making and yet somehow in both scenarios they've been painted as the white knights who can save the day.

D

Deleted member 21258

They could have and should have. Again, I've never voted Labour but this finger pointing in their direction when the mess emanated from a Tory policy is really poor. It's the same with Brexit this mess has been Tory a thing in the making for decades but somehow through a right wing media it seems to be planted on people like Corbyn. The financial crash and the Brexit debacle were both of Tory making and yet somehow in both scenarios they've been painted as the white knights who can save the day.

Goodness me, how long were labour in for and how long do you blame the previous government for afterwards. ;) They(labour) could have changed it at any stage and change credit requirements or money printing requirements by authorised banks, but no they didn't. They are both guilty.

I would suggest reading about the true reasons for the financial crash, the credit bubble has being going on for about 60 years and it is still growing alarmingly, now on personal and government debt. This has lead to assets prices are crazy high (one example being property, another being stocks, another being government debt. You can argue supply/demand but available credit controls that, credit/loans controls growth as well)... That is the real problem and the day of reckoning still has to be answered, they are kicking it down the road by slashing interest rates. What they do when eventually it goes again, is the interesting bit massive QE, debt holiday, whos knows.

I do find all the Tories bad, labour good or Tories good, labour bad, very funny.:LOL::LOL:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Goodness me, how long were labour in for and how long do you blame the previous government for afterwards. ;) They(labour) could have changed it at any stage and change credit requirements or money printing requirements by authorised banks, but no they didn't. They are both guilty.

I would suggest reading about the true reasons for the financial crash, the credit bubble has being going on for about 60 years and it is still growing alarmingly, now on personal and government debt. This has lead to assets prices are crazy high (one example being property, another being stocks, another being government debt. You can argue supply/demand but available credit controls that, credit/loans controls growth as well)... That is the real problem and the day of reckoning still has to be answered, they are kicking it down the road by slashing interest rates. What they do when eventually it goes again, is the interesting bit massive QE, debt holiday, whos knows.

I do find all the Tories bad, labour good or Tories good, labour bad, very funny.:LOL::LOL:
TBF though the Torys even blame labour for the things they did:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I guess being a country with one of the highest tax rates in the world helps - about 45% the average tax rate there going up to 60% - VAT about 25%

Reckon the UK population would love it ??

Anyway an Independent gets my vote today and I’ll worry about the fate of the nation when Boris is PM after ?

You need to do your research Phil. Basic rate of tax has a max ceiling of 32%, not 45%. Obviously higher than income tax in the UK. However, an example of Swedish tax, the VAT on the repair of your car is..... wait for it.... 6%. And there are a significant number of items, including many foodstuffs, with a VAT rate of 12%.

Always, always, always look at the overall tax burden. As I posted up yesterday, or the day before, Labour's pledge on income tax sounds great but the levels of indirect taxation proposed doesn't make great reading.