Happy Thursday

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Let's hope the country chooses the right option and gives a Conservative majority later. Boris is a bufoon and has been appaling on the campaign trail and really needs to learn from this, but the manifesto is the most middle of the road of any party, the least disruptive and the only hope for moving the country an politics on. I truly hope the despicable fairy-tale Marxists dissapear from the UK and a genuine alternative centre party can emerge. Many issues, not least funding the NHS, long-term care, climate emergency issues need innovative solututions., as do social housing, a pathetically complicated tax code, over regulation in many areas, too much centreal control etc. But sensible fiscal policies also need to be at the centre of any way forward - witness how well Sweden have done over the last 20 or so years. A nervy day awaits but let's hope common sense pravails

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Let's hope the country chooses the right option and gives a Conservative majority later. Boris is a bufoon and has been appaling on the campaign trail and really needs to learn from this, but the manifesto is the most middle of the road of any party, the least disruptive and the only hope for moving the country an politics on. I truly hope the despicable fairy-tale Marxists dissapear from the UK and a genuine alternative centre party can emerge. Many issues, not least funding the NHS, long-term care, climate emergency issues need innovative solututions., as do social housing, a pathetically complicated tax code, over regulation in many areas, too much centreal control etc. But sensible fiscal policies also need to be at the centre of any way forward - witness how well Sweeden have done over the last 20 orilsils!!so years. A nervy day awaits but let's hope common sense pravails

I guess being a country with one of the highest tax rates in the world helps - about 45% the average tax rate there going up to 60% - VAT about 25%

Reckon the UK population would love it ??

Anyway an Independent gets my vote today and I’ll worry about the fate of the nation when Boris is PM after ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess being a country with one of the highest tax rates in the world helps - about 45% the average tax rate there going up to 60% - VAT about 25%

Anyway an Independent gets my vote today and I’ll worry about the fate of the nation when Boris is PM after ?

Let's hope he loses his seat as a MP

That would be utterly hilarious

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

i mentioned Sweden as a good example that Left or Right goverments and they have a fiscal rule they govern by. They have very high personal tax, which is higher than I would like - although the marginal rate is lower than anyone in the UK earning 125K

https://sweden.se/business/how-sweden-created-a-more-stable-economy/

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Remember to vote Conservative today. As although their manifesto is vague to the point of non existent on some areas as some topics are just too tricky for them to care about (social care for example) or they have just given up offering any alternative or hope for change after 9 years in power so have just decided to try and throw some more money at things as that is all they think is ever needed, at least they will not raise your taxes so you don't have to pay a bit more for a better nation for everyone, and not just the haves. And that's what counts folks. And remember, any Tory leader who has not got the endorsement of significant Tory party heavyweights like John Major or Michael Heseltine but has got the backing of Tommy Robinson is OK by me ;) #factcheck

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A couple of questions if anyone is able to answer them......

1) If the result is another hung parliament with the Conservatives as the largest party but unable to form a coalition to get a majority (and assuming the other parties can't form a majority coalition) we continue with a minority government. Can Labour, Lib Dems, SNP and Greens take control of parliamentary business to vote for a 2nd referendum against the wishes of the Conservatives?

2) In the same situation as above Jo Swinson has said that Lib Dem votes won't put either Johnson or Corbyn into No.10. Johnson continues as PM of a minority government. If Corbyn was to be replaced in the next few months with someone that the Lib Dems were prepared to support could they then form a coaltion majority or does it have to be done within a certain time period of the election?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

1) If the result is another hung parliament with the Conservatives as the largest party but unable to form a coalition to get a majority (and assuming the other parties can't form a majority coalition) we continue with a minority government. Can Labour, Lib Dems, SNP and Greens take control of parliamentary business to vote for a 2nd referendum against the wishes of the Conservatives?

2) In the same situation as above Jo Swinson has said that Lib Dem votes won't put either Johnson or Corbyn into No.10. Johnson continues as PM of a minority government. If Corbyn was to be replaced in the next few months with someone that the Lib Dems were prepared to support could they then form a coaltion majority or does it have to be done within a certain time period of the election?

My head hurts at the prospect!

Corbyn is the problem for the majority, only Labour can't see it or refuse to see it more likely.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

I'd like to claim I knew the answers but to be honest have not got a scooby. I expect if the tories do not get a majority then as long as the numbers add up then the other parties will form some form of very lose majority coalition. But how long it will last and if it will have enough unity to actually push through a 2nd referendum is anyones guess.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

1) No. If the largest party cannot command the confidence of the house (after an election this means getting a queen's speech approved) then the leader of the opposition is invited to try and do the same. If he can't either, we have another election.

2) No, it it would have to be done within a few weeks of an election.