Happiest place in Britain

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Aylesbury truly is a soulless s_hole, I really struggle to think of anything positive to say about the place.
Shame as it used to be a lovely market town...maybe 30-40 years ago - before massive over development and almost zero investment in infrastructure.
Me and Mrs K are starting to look at moving elsewhere, but is it a case of better the devil you know (obviously £££ factors into it)?
Not sure that I want to move up North (no offence intended to the forum's Northern members)
Many long standing locals in my town, Farnham, think exactly the same about the new town centre development, claiming it risks Farnham turning into a ‘Woking’, and in some ways I too see their pov. But the town centre was at great risk of dying. The new residential development on top of all the new restaurants and retail that are planned and hoped for should give new stimulus and impetus to the town.

All that said we are more recently (esp post-pandemic) experiencing a lot of incomers from London and they seem to love the place. Surrey-Hants Borders area is indeed a lovely part of the country in which to live. We’ll stay put for another 5 yrs or so then decide what to do, and whether to move up North (which had been our vague plan for retirement).

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Aylesbury truly is a soulless s_hole, I really struggle to think of anything positive to say about the place.
Shame as it used to be a lovely market town...maybe 30-40 years ago - before massive over development and almost zero investment in infrastructure.
Me and Mrs K are starting to look at moving elsewhere, but is it a case of better the devil you know (obviously £££ factors into it)?
Not sure that I want to move up North (no offence intended to the forum's Northern members)

The £££ factors in hugely, Aylesbury is pretty well the cheapest in Bucks for housing,
I don’t know how old you are, but take me as an example
Coming up 61, 2 married daughters , 1 in Aylesbury, the other in Wycombe, last thing I want to do now is move away from my future support network.

If you have no kids etc close by then it doesn’t matter, but I’ve seen loads of people move away and then try and come back when they need support, some can’t afford it, others can, but living in a much smaller place than before

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
The £££ factors in hugely, Aylesbury is pretty well the cheapest in Bucks for housing,
Coming up 61, 2 married daughters , 1 in Aylesbury, the other in Wycombe, last thing I want to do now is move away from my future support network.

If you have no kids etc close by then it doesn’t matter, but I’ve seen loads of people move away and then try and come back when they need support, some can’t afford it, others can, but living in a much smaller place than before

This is massive for some folk, however experience has show that some kids are not bothered in supporting there parents as they get older. ☹️ Don’t get me started on that one.
The part of the world I live ( Nottinghamshire) has seen a large influx of migrants? from the south. The homes they are buying are fantastic if you factor in how much they are getting for there homes in the south. The rest going into a pension pot etc.
The pit I worked at now has 800 ish homes being built on it. It is in Edwinstowe. A fantastic village. Homes are going for 300k- 500k plus and they will go. 15 mins to Mansfield, ( don’t bother). 20 mins to Worksop ( deffo don’t bother) 20 mins to Newark ( very nice indeed).
Oh some very nice golf on the doorstep as well. Although a bit further to get to Rufford now the “Ford” is closed

PhilTheFragger

Visit site
This is massive for some folk, however experience has show that some kids are not bothered in supporting there parents as they get older. ☹️ Don’t get me started on that one.
The part of the world I live ( Nottinghamshire) has seen a large influx of migrants? from the south. The homes they are buying are fantastic if you factor in how much they are getting for there homes in the south. The rest going into a pension pot etc.
The pit I worked at now has 800 ish homes being built on it. It is in Edwinstowe. A fantastic village. Homes are going for 300k- 500k plus and they will go. 15 mins to Mansfield, ( don’t bother). 20 mins to Worksop ( deffo don’t bother) 20 mins to Newark ( very nice indeed).
Oh some very nice golf on the doorstep as well. Although a bit further to get to Rufford now the “Ford” is closed

Went to Worksop the other week, it was closed ?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Lucky you
I'm approaching 75 and still seem to be the support mechanism for my two daughters.
Even to the extent of changing a plug last week.

sunshine

Visit site
@pauljames87 I'll answer your PM here. Pretty sure this is a discussion forum where people are free to discuss things? I'd not long got in from work so it was the first time I've had to read the forum today.
I'm genuinely interested as to why you find 'living rent free in someones head' helpful? Seems to me a very odd thing for an adult to say.

It was a joke. I thought it was amusing ?‍♂️

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Proof that aliens landed in Aylesbury and may have interbred with the locals.
Can be seen for miles. Drove past it this year.
https://www.bucksherald.co.uk/news/...y-hall-still-dividing-opinion-50-years-763862

Is Luton a happy place?

Every Town should have a bit of Brutalism, I personally love it.

Luton is massively improving, now only the 3rd worst town in the U.K…

https://www.lutontoday.co.uk/busine...a-real-kick-in-the-teeth-to-community-3516281

But tbh I think if an asteroid wiped it off the face of the earth no one would miss it.

PhilTheFragger

Visit site

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Luton has a busway which I travelled along this year from Dunstable. It was great.

Only other busway I've experienced connects Huntingdon, St Ives (Cambs.) and Cambridge.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Luton 1984 to 1986.
Two years of my life that are best forgotten.
Some nice places around and about, but a shame about the bigger place in the middle.
Maybe it is different now, but don't really care to know.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Happiest place in Britain?

Almeria… currently 21*…. Shorts &t-shirt weather. Evenings are down as low as 8*, but we’re in a cold snap.