Happiest place in Britain

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@pauljames87 I'll answer your PM here. Pretty sure this is a discussion forum where people are free to discuss things? I'd not long got in from work so it was the first time I've had to read the forum today.
I'm genuinely interested as to why you find 'living rent free in someones head' helpful? Seems to me a very odd thing for an adult to say.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@pauljames87 I'll answer your PM here. Pretty sure this is a discussion forum where people are free to discuss things? I'd not long got in from work so it was the first time I've had to read the forum today.
I'm genuinely interested as to why you find 'living rent free in someones head' helpful? Seems to me a very odd thing for an adult to say.

It was an off the cuff remark , commenting on how the cost of living is so high that living somewhere rent free is a very cost effective way to live ...

That is all.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I could never live in London but I don’t mind visiting it because there is lots to do and see. Surely there must me worse places than that? I’ve been to a few places where I would neither live nor choose to visit.

Not been to St Ives down there but heard it’s nice.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can understand their award, having visited Devon and north Cornwall a fair amount I can confidently say that I’d leave London tomorrow in exchange for cider and pasty’s.

Mrs socks totally agrees, it’s a case of when and not if but this will depend if house prices stabilise which they seem to be. It seems the spike is definitely more Cornwall based so south Devon looks more favourable.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can understand their award, having visited Devon and north Cornwall a fair amount I can confidently say that I’d leave London tomorrow in exchange for cider and pasty’s.

Mrs socks totally agrees, it’s a case of when and not if but this will depend if house prices stabilise which they seem to be. It seems the spike is definitely more Cornwall based so south Devon looks more favourable.
After obsessive watching of Escape to the Country for a number of years, Devon is far more manageable if a sea view is not on your essential list. You probably know this already but if not, go inland ?

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
My town is still in the top 10:apparently. Christ knows how. There's hell up on FB about all the building that is going on / planned. With no road infrastructure plans in place the town is almost in gridlock now.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
what is truly horrifying is that there are some who are older and grumpier
I see that Victor Meldrew types are more common in London, Spalding, Corby and Rugby.
Except that these people make me laugh.
If everybody was happy you would never have a comparison.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
After obsessive watching of Escape to the Country for a number of years, Devon is far more manageable if a sea view is not on your essential list. You probably know this already but if not, go inland ?

The sea view seems to come at a premium of around 10-12%. Currently deciding if we’d rather pay that when we do go or regret not paying it once we’ve committed inland

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The sea view seems to come at a premium of around 10-12%. Currently deciding if we’d rather pay that when we do go or regret not paying it once we’ve committed inland
My FiL has a river view and a sea view, river mouth feeding into the North Sea, and it really doesn't do anything for me. I'd rather see rolling hills, trees, fields etc.

Maybe this is a parkland/heathland/links debate ?.

Ultimately, it come down to the view that's important to you, we are all different.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If that local pub charges £5+ for a pint of beer it doesn't do me any good.....Just isn't fair that the pubs don't get the same pricing as the big stores. I can get 4 pints of beer at Asda for £6 or less.

If it’s a nice little independently owned village pub then I’d pay it. Cheaper that a central London pint.

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It was never going to be Aylesbury......miserable place filled with miserable people....not me though...I'm just grumpy

Aylesbury truly is a soulless s_hole, I really struggle to think of anything positive to say about the place.
Shame as it used to be a lovely market town...maybe 30-40 years ago - before massive over development and almost zero investment in infrastructure.
Me and Mrs K are starting to look at moving elsewhere, but is it a case of better the devil you know (obviously £££ factors into it)?
Not sure that I want to move up North (no offence intended to the forum's Northern members)