Handicap

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Why off an 18 handicap?
FWIW. Some additional info would be required - Course Par, Rating and Slope of courses) played.
And 6 more rounds would definitely give you a real handicap.

Last edited:

Tom Martin

Visit site
Why off an 18 handicap?
FWIW. Some additional info would be required - Course Par, Rating and Slope of courses) played.
And 6 more rounds would definitely give you a real handicap.
We score off 18 handicap for ease of scoring. The course I score 30 points on. Is par 69, course rating 68.5 and slope of 125. The course I scored 25 on was par 71, course rating 70.1 and slope 137. Does this help?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
play off 24 for now, reassess after your next few scores if its just social golf

might be worth getting one of the free apps that track your handicap like golfshake
Seems a reasonable step.
@Tom Martin
Then a reasessment after a further few rounds (6 more will give sufficient to have a nearly real WHS style 'cap). Mates you play with should do similar.
Using apps like golfshake are really handy for this sort of arrangement. Better than the spreadsheet I created to handle similar situation for a bunch of us (none members anywhere) in the late '90s. One of the guys in the regulars I play with created a WHS/Slope style spreadsheet that we have been using for several years, as most of us are 'migratory' players.

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just want to level things up to keep the interest going.
You can calculate an indicative handicap with 3 scores but it won't really settle down until you have about a dozen scores recorded. I haven't used it but if you and your mates don't want to mess with a pretty straightforward homemade spreadsheet, golfshake seems a good bet.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you don’t want to go to the hassle of entering peoples scores onto an app, I know societies that don’t bother with official handicaps but the winner loses x shots, 2nd loses x-1 shots etc, then people at the lower end will get 1 or 2 shots back. You can just make it up as you go along really. It doesn’t give accurate handicaps for people but it does over time allow everyone a decent chance at winning something.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Overnight acceptable scores in England are downloaded from all clubs software providers and Igolf to the EG software, from where the PCC is calculated.
So the Igolf system uploads to the WHS for the number crunching for all others scores on that day on that course, so is as date critical as normal club scores.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I've scored 30 and 25points off an 18 handicap. What is my actual handicap.

The new handicap system is not that simple.

It takes in to account all rounds that have been played not just one (except the best one of the 3 input on for first handicap). When you have an score for handicap purposes all scores worse than the lowest score at which you would score zero points for stableford are reduced to that score.
When you are putting in scores for intitial handicap all scores of worse than twice the par are reduced to twice the par.

As a rough guide
On the assumption that the card would have been the best card for initial handicap look at each hole score, adjust to twice the par for holes you scored zero points on (if you do not know the actual figure), total it and take away the course rating, deduct 2 shots and that would be your handicap.