Handicap system?

Daviefow

Hacker
Visit site
Hey everyone, first of all sorry for my complete ignorance of the system, but making me even more confused is the ammount of contradictory info I am getting at my local course so i thought I would ask here?

I Play off 20 at a par 72 course.

Q1, How is the CSS calculated?

Q2, If i shoot a 91 less 20, net 71. I will get cut by 0.2 if the CSS is 72? is this correct?

Q3, If under the same circumstances my 91 included an 8 at a par 4 does it get taken as a 6 when calculating any handicap adjustment? meaning that i would be essentially a 69 and therefor cut by (3 x 0.2=) 0.6?

Thanks for any help,

Davie fow.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
CSS is calculated using a formula provided by CONGU. I don't know the exact formula but it essentially relates to the number of players in CATs 1, 2 & 3 that shoot inside the buffer zone which is SSS + 1 for Cat 1, +2 for Cat 2 and + 3 for Cat 3. CSS can be between 1 under and 3 over SSS depending on how the formula works out. If it works out more than 3 over SSS the comp is reductions only.

As a 20 h'cap you get cut 0.3 for each shot under CSS so for your Q2 you would get cut 0.3

For Q3, all scores are rounded down to a Nett double bogey so if you get one shot on the par 4 in Q3 it would count as a 7 for h'cap purposes, if you get 2 shot it stays as an 8.

Hope that makes sense

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Q1.

From CONGU.

How is the Competition Scratch Score calculated?
This is not a straightforward calculation. Broadly speaking, the calculations follow

For Men; Discount all scores returned by category 4 players (handicaps 21 to 28), for Ladies; Discount all scores returned by category 5 players (handicaps 29 to 36)

Calculate the percentage of players who competed in the competition in each of categories 1, 2 and 3 [and 4 for Ladies],

Calculate the percentage of scores returned by the category 1, 2 and 3 [and 4] players which were two over the Standard Scratch Score of the course, or better.

Use the percentages from (2) and (3) to determine the Competition Scratch Score by referring to a table supplied by CONGU for the purpose.

Have fun with that one ;)

Q2. No. You will get cut 0.3 as a Cat 3 player (13-20)

Q3. This depends. What was the S.I of the hole. If it was 1 or 2 then there would be no adjustment. The two strokes you have due to your handicap there would already adjust it to a nett double bogey 6. If it was index 3-18 then it would cut 1 shot to 7 returning a nett 6. This would result in a clause 19 adjustment under the handicapping system. At best it would result in 1 additional stroke giving you a 70 and a cut of 2 x 0.3 = 0.6.

Easier to think of things in terms of stableford points as this automatically adjusts gross scores to Nett double at worst.

Where CSS=Par then a stableford score of 36 indicates you have played to your handicap. Every point above relates to a cut.

eg. If you return a score of 37 and CSS = Par then you get cut 1 x 0.3

Gets a bit more confusing when CSS doesn't equal Par.

For every shot CSS is under par you need to score a extra point to play to handicap.

E.g. If CSS were 71 and Par = 72 then you need to shoot nett 1 under or 37 points to play to your handicap so the 37 would have no cut.

Vice Versa for every shot over Par CSS is you need to score one less point to play to handicap.

If CSS were 73 with par = 72 the you need a nett 1 over or 35 points to play to handicap. The 37 would have a 2 x 0.3 cut.

Hope that isn't too confusing.

Daviefow

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks for the replys, much appreciated.

I take it from what you all have said, all cuts are dependant on CSS, and not SSS?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replys, much appreciated.

I take it from what you all have said, all cuts are dependant on CSS, and not SSS?

eventually - as discussed in the other thread you are active in, as soon as you finish a round you are responsible for adjusting your handicap to SSS. Once CSS is published this becomes the relevant measure.

It's entirely possible that a player plays a strokeplay event in the morning, and a matchplay one in the afternoon whilst others are still playing the strokeplay event. He uses SSS.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
To clarify one point, I think Bob is qu0ting from the previous guidance and I think the system changed very recently as explained by Hawkeye so that CCS is based on the numbers of Cat 1, 2, and 3 (for men) who are within their buffer zone, rather than a blanket 2 shot allowance being applied for this purpose.

Yep, found it. From the Foreward to the CONGU 2012-15 UHS Guide

"The most significant change is in relation to the calculation of Competition Scratch Score (CSS).
Historically this has been based on the number of Category 1, 2 & 3 players for men and Categories 1,2,3
&4 for ladies who achieve a score of Standard Scratch Score (SSS) +2 or better. The probability of a player
attaining this target varies with each category and consequently the mix of the field can have a distorting
effect on the outcome. Analysis of scores over the past four years has indicated that using SSS+Category
Buffer Zone would give a more appropriate result particularly for fields containing few Category 1 and 2
players. Accordingly the calculation will move to this new basis with effect from 1 January 2012 and
Appendix B,Table A has been amended."

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
THE CURRENT VERSION

Q.
How is the Competition Scratch Score (CSS) calculated?

A. The CSS table contained in Table A, Appendix B of the UHS is based on a statistical analysis of the known performance of golfers of different abilities (Handicap Categories) under a range of golfing conditions. Table A, Appendix B is based on the expectation of players returning net scores within their respective Buffer Zones.
In ‘normal’ playing conditions, for example, 30-57% of participating Category 1 players are expected to return nett scores within their Buffer Zone or better (SSS+1). In contrast, in the same conditions only 23-45% of Category 3 players are expected to return nett scores within their Buffer Zone or better (SSS+3).
In competition situations when course conditions are more, or less, favourable than ‘normal’, these percentages will increase or decrease accordingly, resulting in movement of the SSS as expressed by the CSS.

The mechanics of the CSS calculation are:
• Establish the composition of the ‘field’ as a percentage of each Handicap Category excluding
Category 4 for men and Category 5 for ladies.
e.g. 10% Cat.1 50% Cat.2 40% Cat.3 [+Cat.4 for Ladies]
• Establish the percentage of the ‘field’ (Cat.1 + Cat.2 + Cat.3 [+Cat.4])with a nett score within
their respective Buffer Zones, or better e.g.20%
• Refer to Table A in Appendix B, and if appropriate Table B.
• Using this example, the CSS would be the SSS + 1.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry about that. I have no idea how I got the old manual for that one. Click on the link from gui website. Didn't even think to check the dates and when I do it again I get the 2012-15 manual. Spooky.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Also worth noting that CSS - which is SSS adjusted to take into account the particular conditions on the day - can go down by 1 or up by 3. Should it go up by more than 3, the comp is deemed Reduction Only (RO).

The handicap system is effectively a Stableford system, because of the Stableford Adjustment, even in a Strokeplay comp (though Bogey comps differ slightly!). So manage your conception of what score you need to get to make buffer or get a cut from a combination of Stableforsd Points and SSS versus Par. Where Par and SSS match, 38 points are required to guarantee a cut - though 37 may get one. For someone off 20, 34 points will guarantee buffer (where you don't go up 0.1), but in some (rare) cases 30 points might make buffer.

Should you go up to 21, you will be in Cat 4, cf Cat 3 at 20. That would mean your buffer is 4 shots rather than 3, so 33 and 29 resp in the paragraph above cf 34 and 30.

Hope that helps.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find it much easier to work it as a medal and make my own adjustments for nett double bogey. You don't then have to worry about differences in SSS and Par. Just take your adjusted nett and compare it with the CSS (or SSS if CSS not yet available).