Handicap reduction question

kevingopher

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi, was wandering if anyone who has a good grasp on the Congu system could give me a clue as what to expect with the following..........

My last qualifier was in August last year where I shot 38 points and was playing off 17.1. Since then I have been working away and unable to play my home course at weekends due to having a young family and preferring to spend time with them.
The plus side is that I became a county member at a course near my away address and have been able to practise and play four times a week along with regular lessons. Obviously I have improved immensely and after constant ribbing from my playing buddies and my handicap going inactive I thought I should put 3 cards in to allow me to start playing comps again off a fair handicap. I did this at three different courses, the scores are a follows

par 73 sss 73 shot 79

par 71 sss 72 shot 76

par 72 SSS 73 shot 78

does anyone have any ideas what sort of handicap I will end up with? And how long it takes to come into play?

Many thanks in advance

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
you raise a lot of issues in one post!

1. you can't start again with your handicap; from what you have posted you have a handicap (17.1) at a course you are a current member.
2. I don't understand why it's gone (i) if you played 2 Q comps in the period up to your August comp last year - you needed 3 Q scores in the calendar year 2012 for it to remain active through 2013
3. On the basis that it has somehow gone to (i), which would have been at 1.1.2013, you need to play 3 Q comps (anywhere) or submit 3 supplemental cards at your home course. With an (i) handicap you will probably not be able to play Q opens so it's home course only unless your A course permits.
4. I don't understand why you haven't played any Q comps at your Away course to both keep your handicap active and reflecting your ability.
5. Hypothetically, if someone did submit these 3 cards for handicap then based on the scores submitted you would be given 5.5 - but the 3 cards have to be from the home course allocating the handicap of course.

given the above, timing doesn't come into it.

kevingopher

Medal Winner
Visit site
OK, Thanks for the reply.
As you can see i said handicap is going inactive, I assumed as it was a year since last qualifier then it would happen this month. (forgive me for lack of handicap knowledge hence the Q) No Q comps at away course as i am working 7am till 6pm and have no interest in a four hour medal grind after, as far as i am aware they only play 9 hole roll ups in the week anyway. I am just a play for fun golfer, home course said i coud put in three sups from any where. From what you say it seems this is not the case. Just trying to keep an accurate record so as not to branded a cheat/bandit etc. should i wish to enter a comp. So asuming my handicap is infact still active the above any ideas on reduction?
Thanks

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
As far as I'm aware you can't put in supplementary cards from away courses, they would have to be qualifiers eg) Opens. I would just play a comp / sup at your home course with 2 cards as above consecutively you could drop roughly to a handicap of 9. That would still be high though given your ability. Playing 7 days a week I don't think I could average 5 over sss within a year so well done.

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
If the 3 cards mentioned were just casual play, then they have no relevance to your handicap situation. If they were in qualifying Opens then your scores would find their way back to your Home Club provided you gave them your CDH number - otherwise it's your responsibilty to report the scores (adjusted if necessary) and CSS to your club.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's great shooting well played! If you are concerned and currently have a 17 h/cap as seems the case a couple of supplementary rounds at your home course may help.

kevingopher

Medal Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the replys guys. Lyden I have been playing for about 6 years always been streaky just seem to have settled lately, only ever played 2 or 3 comps so my handicap is a bit skewed. I work all week and the wife works weekends so it's tricky to find 5 or 6 hours to play comps etc. etc. I have posted the cards to the club so will have to wait and see i guess.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hi, was wandering if anyone who has a good grasp on the Congu system could give me a clue as what to expect with the following..........

My last qualifier was in August last year where I shot 38 points and was playing off 17.1. Since then I have been working away and unable to play my home course at weekends due to having a young family and preferring to spend time with them.
The plus side is that I became a county member at a course near my away address and have been able to practise and play four times a week along with regular lessons. Obviously I have improved immensely and after constant ribbing from my playing buddies and my handicap going inactive I thought I should put 3 cards in to allow me to start playing comps again off a fair handicap. I did this at three different courses, the scores are a follows

par 73 sss 73 shot 79

par 71 sss 72 shot 76

par 72 SSS 73 shot 78

does anyone have any ideas what sort of handicap I will end up with? And how long it takes to come into play?

Many thanks in advance

Why don't you simply swap Home/Away clubs? For handicap purposes.

That actually seems to be what you are doing anyway, so the 'paperwork' simply reflects reality.

Then when you return from working away, simply change the Home club back again.