Handicap reduction in pairs comp?

Colwag

Visit site
Hi all, Today we had a 4bbb medal competition and the pair that won shot a combined 61 nett 9 under the SSS.

One of the players shot 62 on his own playing off 11 handicap, 8 under the course SSS My question is can this player be cut under general play adjustment?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi all, Today we had a 4bbb medal competition and the pair that won shot a combined 61 nett 9 under the SSS.

One of the players shot 62 on his own playing off 11 handicap, 8 under the course SSS My question is can this player be cut under general play adjustment?
No.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Which clause are you referring to?

Rule 2.1

What is just as important is what it does not say.

It does not say scores from 4BBB are not acceptable unlike CONGU UHS which does say they are not acceptable

If you are playing a match you can also submit a score for personal handicap.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
2.1 Acceptability of Scores
A score is acceptable ... if the round has been played:
- In an authorised format of play

If one or more of the requirements set out above is not met, the score is not acceptable .......

2.1a Played in an Authorised Format of Play
The table only includes types of Individual stroke play

Interpretation 2.1/2 specifically allows the stroke play score to be returned when playing a match concurrently, provided both are authorized formats of play. However, match play (nor Fourball) is not such a format here. It could be if played in another Jurisdiction (eg USGA). See clause 2.1a(ii) Round Played Outside a Player's Jurisdiction

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Comment now deleted

Re 4 BBB I have now deleted my comment but it looks like the question needs asking

What is interesting is that 4BBB Stroke Play is listed in the index under Authorised format of play but it is not mentioned when you read the appropriate section.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2.1 Acceptability of Scores
A score is acceptable ... if the round has been played:
- In an authorised format of play

If one or more of the requirements set out above is not met, the score is not acceptable .......

2.1a Played in an Authorised Format of Play
The table only includes types of Individual stroke play

Interpretation 2.1/2 specifically allows the stroke play score to be returned when playing a match concurrently, provided both are authorized formats of play. However, match play (nor Fourball) is not such a format here. It could be if played in another Jurisdiction (eg USGA). See clause 2.1a(ii) Round Played Outside a Player's Jurisdiction

4BBB - I have just seen where I may have originally read this - The USGA Rules of Handicapping

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re 4 BBB I have now deleted my comment but it looks like the question needs asking

What is interesting is that 4BBB Stroke Play is listed in the index under Authorised format of play but it is not mentioned when you read the appropriate section.
The USGA Table includes:
Fourball stroke play
Individual match play
Fourball match play

Either CONGU/EG omitted to update the Index or left them in for completeness (and confusion).

Edit: Have you got the CONGU/EG version?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
My question is can this player be cut under general play adjustment?

Yes they can. Any player can be cut at any time under general play adjustment. HC secs are specifically instructed not to wait for annual reviews to do so.
However, such cuts should be made when there is a clear pattern of scores that indicates an adjustment is is required. A single result such as this one, will most likely not merit an adjustment. However, if there are other recent performances, indicating that either player is playing better than their handicap, including non qualifying singles, matchplays, interclub matches, teams or scrambles, etc, then their handicap SHOULD be adjusted.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Edit: Have you got the CONGU/EG version?

Yes I have.

The other funny thing is that I had got to the bottom of the tool kit poster list it clearly says on the last one that Four Balls scores are not acceptable. I was running through what needed to be done next a few minutes ago.

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Should be an automatic handicap cut for finishing top in any event, if your winning you're playing well and far better than the field. 1.0 shot win, 1/2 2nd 1/4 3rd

Never going to stop the solid pairs player winning events that can't do it in a singles comp for 18 holes. Oh wait that me :) I'd welcome a cut for pairs, game is about improving and for me getting a lower handicap.

WHS

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Definitely a few people who don't exactly play every medal going but turn up for a lot of scrambles, matchplay, pairs comps, social sweeps etc.

In plenty of cases this is because they just want a valid handicap, but no doubt there's a few who are quite happy having a few shots to play with.

And there are also clubs who cater for this type of golfer with plenty of non-strokeplay events to enter and compete in.

I'm also certain the WHS will not stop this. It may well mean players go up a bit quicker if they hand in 3 cards at 90, when they've been keeping a mid-teen handicap going for years and only going up 0.2 or 0.3 a year. But it won't force people to submit social scores or supplementaries any more than the current system.