Handicap & questions...

jonesuk

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all, I have a couple of questions that I wonder if anyone could help with:

I think that this was covered by a thread a few months ago but I can't seem to find it so will ask again i'm afraid :eek:

With regards to handicaps, is there anywhere that you obtain one without being a member of a club? Possibly on a website I think was talked about before? Also, I am guessing that this would not count as an official handicap (ie. if a course asked for certificates)?

On a related note, does anyone know of any website (free!) to keep a log of your scores, stats etc. that is worth using or 'tried and tested' by anyone here? At the moment I use a pen and paper to record scores, work out rough handicap etc but thinking of moving it online for ease if I can.

On a less related note, those of you who view regularly know I joined this forum not too long ago and I have not long been playing golf. I was just wondering whether it is usual at my stage of my 'golfing career' for there to be no/little difference in distance between driver and 3 wood? Reason I ask is that there is no difference but I am much, much more consistent with my 3-wood so whenever it comes to a tee shot on a round, that is what I will go for everytime and the driver becomes a bit redundant. I am saving up to buy a new driver as it isn't a good one but thought I'd ask if it was generally typical for beginners.

Thanks all, sorry for the long post.

B

birdieman

Jonesuk, not sure about the handicap question, if you can I would advise obtaining a real one through being a club member. Any internet handicap certificate probably isn't worth the paper it's written on if and when you are asked to provide one to get on a championship course for example. Once you obtain a real handicap that's it - you'll be fighting it and obsessing over it your whole golf life!

The 3 wood v driver question is probably because of the time of year there is no roll as it's wet so the lower trajectory on the driver isn't working to full effect. The 3 wood is higher trajectory so can carry nearly as far a driver but stops quicker as it drops steeper.

The driver is a longer club and spins the ball less than 3w so should run out better and go further, particularly when fairways are dry.

What loft is on the driver?

jonesuk

Club Champion
Visit site
My driver is 10deg and 3-wood is 16deg I think. I guess I need to take the roll into account but still don't think there would be that much difference - probably more down to my technique and swing speed!

As for handicap, I realise its probably not going to be properly 'official' but at the moment I cannot afford to join a proper club and also I am currently renting where I live and may not be staying in this exact location.

Thought it might be worth doing if there is somewhere I can... More interested in the online score log to be honest if anyone knows anything out there?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think the best way to keep a track of your socres and with the bonus of recording your stats is to purchase SS2. It is the best on the market and it is only a single one off cost (if you PM SS2 he might give you a discount). You can download a trial for a month at the website www.scoresaver.co.uk

The best way of getting a handicap is to join a club and put three official cards in. My advice would be to join a cheap and local pay and play and put your name down for their competitions and get the cards marked by your fellow competitors. Once you have got it you can keep it as you move round although if you don't play 3 qualifying competitions (i.e. a stableford or medal competition) within twelve months it will be deemed lapsed and you will need to put qualifying cards back in.

The reason you are probably getting similar distances on your driver and 3 wood is that in all likelyhood you are hitting your driver with a left to right shape. This lower loft of your driver will impact more sidespin if you have a slice and rob you of distance. As a 3 wood has more loft the sidespin is reduced and the ball will generally fly higher and with less sideways movement.

flandango

Head Pro
Visit site
No need to comment on the driver v 3 wood question, or the handicap question as you have a couple of good suggestions and i'm no pro myself.

I can however endorse the Scorsaver software. I purchased it on monday and have entered 2 cards since. It is bloody brilliant. Analyses your game so you can where your strengths and weaknesses lie and gives you an idea as to what handicap you are playing to in different areas,

eg, what %age you hit G.I.R, Fairways, putts etc. Really really good package. I spoke to ANDY (SS2) and he sorted me out!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd have thought I'd have got some commission from SS2 by now!!! (Andy, I'm using TM TP black balls if you fancy buying me dozen!)

Only joking but it is far andaway the best out there. Jonesuk all you will need to do is download the trial software, enter your local course details and print a blank card (same size as a socrecard). As you go around mar whehter you hit the fairway and green and if not what direction (or long) or short of the green you missed on. Record the number of putts, any sand saves (getting up and down from a bunker) and any penalty shots. When you get home click on "enter scorecard" and it is pretty self explanatory.

jonesuk

Club Champion
Visit site
Great, thanks for all your responses guys. Will have to have a go at the free trial for the scoresaver software. I'm sure it will come up on the forum again so will let you know how I get on with it.

Twiregolf - will check out that Times online golf club as an intermediate measure. Thanks.