Handicap categories

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Reading the recent threads discussing SSS and CSS has got me thinking, why do the different handicap categories have different buffer zones and reduction calculations?
Why do CAT 1 guys only come down 0.1 in relation to CAT 3 coming down 0.3? Why can't everyone just have a 2 shot buffer and a 0.2 reduction?
Considering CAT 1 guys only make up 5% or so of golfers in the uk, are they getting a rough deal by their buffer zone and shot reduction percentage?
On the flip side are higher handicaps getting a rough deal because all course scores are calculated against a scratch golfer when most clubs, with the exception of a few will be lucky to have anymore than 3 scratch guys.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would suggest it's all about normal distribution curves and the associated mapping of handicaps to those curves for any given capability (back to the mythical average handicap golfer...)

If, for example, you moved the buffer to 0.1 for all categories, and the reduction model to 0.1 per stroke differential, you would strengthen the current cat 2 quite a bit (a 9 would probably become a 10) and your 24 would move out to closer to 28!

At this point I would have my first sympathy with the cat 1 argument that they don't stand a chance in match play at 100% allowance 🤣

It's all about statistical modelling and there is a more significant element of consistency with other, rolling average, systems now than there was previously (when the buffer was 2 for all categories a CONGU cat 3 was way stronger than a USGA one as an example.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It mainly about the improving golfer. Cat 3 and 4's are seen to be players that can improve a lot so get bigger reductions for doing well so it does not take them so long to get to a 'correct' handicap. Cat 1s are seen to be about their correct handicap already so the applied differences are about small increments.

I would think that a player with a 20 plus handicap would not greatly notice a 2 shot reduction but a 5 going to 3 would.

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Reading the recent threads discussing SSS and CSS has got me thinking, why do the different handicap categories have different buffer zones and reduction calculations?
Why do CAT 1 guys only come down 0.1 in relation to CAT 3 coming down 0.3? Why can't everyone just have a 2 shot buffer and a 0.2 reduction?
Considering CAT 1 guys only make up 5% or so of golfers in the uk, are they getting a rough deal by their buffer zone and shot reduction percentage?
On the flip side are higher handicaps getting a rough deal because all course scores are calculated against a scratch golfer when most clubs, with the exception of a few will be lucky to have anymore than 3 scratch guys.

there are loads of clubs that have way more the 25 scratch players at them so not sure where you get your information about 3 per club.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
there are loads of clubs that have way more the 25 scratch players at them so not sure where you get your information about 3 per club.
Is there? Where?
I said 3 based on my own knowledge, which is probably fairly limited. But I'm fairly sure that clubs with more than 25 scratch golfers at them will be extremely rare and in the 1% category. 2 of the clubs I know in Scotland are Nairn and glenbervie who both have a lot of cat 1 golfers but the latter has maybe 6 scratchers and the former about 20ish. Apart from that I don't know if any other clubs that have more than a few.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site

I believe it is because its down to improvements - the higher handicap improves more dramatically than a lower handicapped golfer. Also the buffer zone is because if its bad weather a lower handicapper can deal with the conditions far more easier than a high handicapper.

But remember CSS is calculated from every player and how many hit their buffer zone.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
CSS isn't calculated from every player it's only from players within their buffer or better.
That why the higher handicaps improve more dramatically though they are getting huge chunks taken of their handicap for mediocre scoring.
Whereas the lower handicap guys seem to need to score very well all the time in order to get cut.

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
It is primarily about consistency of scores

This.

Buffer zones and reductions are all about the expected scores of a certain handicap category. A cat 1 player will have lower variation in his scores that a cat 4 player, which is why the buffer zones are different.

The amount of reduction is calculated so that the handicap of a player, whose playing ability doesn't change, stays roughly the same over time.

For example, a cat 4 player is expected to get one 0.4 cut for every four 0.1 increases. A cat 1 player is expected to get one 0.1 cut for every 0.1 increase.

In other words: a cat 1 player is expected to buffer or play to his handicap more often, so he doesn't need to get cut so much for every shot below CSS to keep his handicap the same.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
CSS isn't calculated from every player it's only from players within their buffer or better.
That why the higher handicaps improve more dramatically though they are getting huge chunks taken of their handicap for mediocre scoring.
Whereas the lower handicap guys seem to need to score very well all the time in order to get cut.

That is meaningless.

CSS is based on the number who buffer as a proportion of all the players.