Handicap Cards

MattCarter

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi All

Have finally joined a club and have started to hand some Handicap cards in, my question is that I have shot 117 and 118 I know this isn't a good score but is this a bad score for a 28 handicap? course is par 72.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
H Matt.
If you can knock 1 shot off each hole, you will be playing to about 28.
Are you having lessons or trying to improve yourself?

MattCarter

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have had 6 lessons but have moved so need to find a new pro. I know I need to work on my short game and putting as this is my weakest part of my game can normal get around the green in 2/3 then have 2 bad chip shorts then 3 putt.

MattCarter

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just handed my last card in and have taken 13 shots of the last time I played. shot 104, Pitching was alot better and didnt leave myself any samll chips. Putting was also alot better.

Will still be getting my hands on a v easy when i get paid tho.

MKDave

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Having problems with putting too as a newcomer....doing ok judging distance BUT shots can go go 5/6 foot left OR right of pin :(

I'm by no means a 'judge' at putting but something that I was told and has stuck with my about putting was finding the line then drawing the movement from the hole to the ball in your mind, then focus on something about 2/3 inches from the ball on that line. It's easier to align your putter to a mark on the green a few inches away rather than looking across a 15 foot putt. Now I just need to read the greens a bit better. That said, at my home course my putting has improved massively.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Having problems with putting too as a newcomer....doing ok judging distance BUT shots can go go 5/6 foot left OR right of pin :(

Sounds as if your putter face isn't always pointing where it should at impact.
Whether thats because of your stroke or your aim we'll have to guess.
Do you have a video of your putting stroke?