Hampshire

B

birdieman

Liphook is a good track according to GM review. That's near Aldershot I think.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You're very near Surrey there, where all the proper courses are....West Hill, Woking, Worplesdon but whether you'll get on on a Sunday I'm not sure. The Army, Merrist Wood you might get on - Wentworth is only up the road a bit.....

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would suggest The Army,it is pleasant they dont mind green fees and it is right in Aldershot.
The other closest by is Merrist Wood which is modern long and right now pretty good(biased tho).
Farnham Sands is really close too and that is also a decent track.
The three W's are ok with green fees but I would go to The Army.
If you choose Merrist let me know and I might be able to arrange a round with a member which would save a few quid.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't remember Liphook being that near to Aldershot....

The 3 "Ws" are all quite brilliant as is West Surrey, which is also not that close.

Merrist Wood was an agricultural college (some of my friends went there!) still is, I guess, and I remember the talk about building a real golf course there. Can't think it'd be up to the standard of the "W"s though.

It's going to be pricey though....might be worth a trip to visit Homer or one of the other lads.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't remember Liphook being that near to Aldershot....

The 3 "Ws" are all quite brilliant as is West Surrey, which is also not that close.

Merrist Wood was an agricultural college (some of my friends went there!) still is, I guess, and I remember the talk about building a real golf course there. Can't think it'd be up to the standard of the "W"s though.

It's going to be pricey though....might be worth a trip to visit Homer or one of the other lads.

Try looking at google then type merrist wood + golf into the little box on the screen - not a cow or carrot to crunch in sight!!!

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Realgolfer, you can come an play MW any time you like then tell me if it is a farm.

The course was built on 250 acres,almost twice the average.

As for the three W's you are right they are all excellent traditional Surrey courses and over 100 years old but pricey and the welcome is questionable!

West Surrey is not as good as any of these in my opinion and is also a bugger of a drive from Aldershot.

As Pete will be going North he should be looking in Surrey or around the Bracknell area with good access to the M3/M25.