Gym workout

Geden90

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all,

my my first post on the forum. I've started to take golf a lot more seriously lately and wondered if there are any basic gym workouts that would help me, or any exercises that might hinder my playing ability although not that good at the minute.

D

Deleted member 15344

I think the best exercises for golf ( but dependant on your age ) would be flexibility and core work - things like pilates and yoga to really strengthen the core and keep the muscles supple

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A lot of core work for stability is the best idea but I'm probably the last person to comment. Three hernias knocking about, dodgy eyes, knackered knees and getting old. I have been doing pilates which is helping mainly because the wife is doing it and has goaded me

karlcole

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
If you search for rick shiels on YouTube he's recently started doing some golf specific fitness videos with a guy who runs a swing fit uk they're pretty good to be fair

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just lift the heaviest weights you can. The most important thing in golf is how far you hit the ball and second is how good you look whilst doing it:lol: what they dont show you on the golf channels is a good front double bicep after a screamer.

But seriously good core stuff. More for injury prevention than anything

Geden90

Hacker
Visit site
Hi Geden90,
Can you give any insight into your age, fitness levels, training experience, any injuries etc?

Hi Stuey01,

my age is 24, not the fittest but not unfit if you get what i mean could do with losing a stone or two, training experience played loads of sports growing up football, golf, boxing. no injuries although sometimes get a pain in my lower back left hand side after hitting 100 balls at the range which is going as i have been chaining my swing. hope that helps.

BelliedWedge

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all,

my my first post on the forum. I've started to take golf a lot more seriously lately and wondered if there are any basic gym workouts that would help me, or any exercises that might hinder my playing ability although not that good at the minute.

I've found Athletic Golf Training to be really good. Mixture of "easy" flexibility type exercises and more weight specific stuff but all very functional movements not just lifting weights.

http://www.youtube.com/user/athleticgolftraining

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Titleist Performance Institute has loads of good Golf focused workout stuff!

Makes me need to lie down just watching it!

Core and Flexibility are the essential areas though. Forearm strength doesn't do any harm either - aka Paul (Popeye) Casey!

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great that you have no injuries and are relatively young and fit.
I would suggest an all around strength program and lots of flexibility work. Personally am an advocate of training the whole body multiple times per week rather than a traditional body part split, where you want to fit around your golf.
2 or 3 times per week (mon tues thurs works for me with a day off before golf on Saturday) should enable you to make gains and balance with your golf.
Look up men's health power training by Robert Dos Remedios, it has some good ideas on how to put together a whole body movement based training program, plus it's free which is a bonus. Also New Rules of Lifting is a book by Alwyn Cosgrove that is really good.

I do crossfit at the moment but it's pretty intense and quite expensive, if you're into it it's great but maybe start elsewhere.

Last edited: