GUR in a bunker

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Ground under repair in a bunker, the GUR is basically in a semi circle around the front of the bunker, new turf, just been laid, from the sand up the sides of the bunker. The ball lands 6 inches from the GUR but in the sand, its impossible to take a forward shot without standing on the new and loose turf. The player could have played out sideways, away from the green, but would not normally if there was no GUR. Is the player allowed any relief?

Iaing

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I'd say yes, if you can't take a stance because of the GUR.
Was it just the newly turfed area that was marked? I'd say it's more usual to make the whole bunker GUR. Like this jammy bugger today...
02032013362.jpg

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yes, just the new turf and an inch of sand was GUR. We thought the same Rosecott, and a drop within the bunker was taken.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Given the description of the situation, I'm struggling to work out how the drop was managed without being nearer the hole?

I assumed that, with the mention of front of the bunker, the OP was talking about the face of the bunker being where the GUR was..

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Indeed, free relief.

It would only have been the turf that was really GUR, but some lazy marking meant that some of the bunker was.

The 'proper' way to have marked it would have been to have had the line across the bottom of the turf not touching the sand.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry Freddie, but that is incorrect. You can have an area within a bunker marked as GUR or, as in this case, an area not in the bunker but interfering with the stance/area of swing for a ball that is in the bunker. In either instance, you can play the ball as it lies or, if you take free relief, the ball must be dropped in the bunker - as has already been said. The only way to drop outside the bunker is by taking penalty stroke.

What you are probably thinking of is where the Committee specifically determine to make the whole of a bunker GUR (because, for instance, of major reconstruction). In that specific instance the bunker does not have the status of a hazard but is "through the green" and your free relief is outside the bunker.

Last edited:

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sorry Gents the title and the description of the GUR don't tie up, my mistake. The turf was laid in a horseshoe shape at the front of the bunker right up to the sand, with the ball close to the edge of the sand, a left handed player could have played it normally but a right handed player couldn't. The player took a drop into the bunker which wasn't closer to the hole. Only the turf and an inch of sand was GUR. Thanks for your answers.