Guitar greats

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just been listening to Carlos Santana/Mark Knofler and what about Chris Rea(if mentioned ...and missed....then my apologies)

Think I'm giving away my age here but nobody nowadays seems to fire me up ????!!!!

Jimbo

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Ben Weinman from The Dillinger Escape Plan is my contribution to this thread.

Technically he'd have few superiors on this thread and his music is face meltingly intense with the most aggressive, crazy time signature based riffing you could ever ask for and then dropping seamlessly into running jazz riffs and melodic arpeggios and back again all in one song. I've had the pleasure of seeing them live where he played a couple of songs at break neck speed whilst having by his feet from the lighting rig above our heads.

If you want an idea of the sort of music they play, check out Panasonic Youth, 43% Burnt, Sugar Coated Sour, Prancer, Party Smasher... All showcase superb guitar skills.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Probably repeating a lot of the names already mentioned. My taste seems similar to 3565.

Joe Satriani - seen him live many times (hence SatchFan)
Steve Vai
Eddie Van Halen
John Petrucci
Guthrie Govan
Eric Johnson
George Lynch
Steve Morse

Also jazzier guys such as -
Martin Taylor
Larry Carlton
George Benson
Nile Rodgers

Hard to disagree with this list - all astonishing talent which summed up my guitar learning years perfectly...

Lately, I would also add:

Chuck Berry
Jimi
Prince
Mike Campbell
Richard Thompson
Bert Jansch
Martin Simpson
Johnny Marr
Chris Squire

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hard to disagree with this list - all astonishing talent which summed up my guitar learning years perfectly...

Lately, I would also add:

Chuck Berry
Jimi
Prince
Mike Campbell
Richard Thompson
Bert Jansch
Martin Simpson
Johnny Marr
Chris Squire

who's Chris Squire???

is he the bloke from The Stone Roses Brother?

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hee hee, not awake when I wrote that:p. Couldn't edit it either which I think is clearly punishment for more haste less speed.

Was hoping no one would notice but you've got me. I'm very sorry, Sir. Won't happen again, Sir :D

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not really into those amazingly technical riff type players, such as vai or Moore. My top 5 would therefore be:

Johnny Marr
John Squire
George Harrison
Steve Craddock
Jonny Greenwood

Honourable mention to Matt Bellamy out of muse. I don't really like 'massive rock' but the boy can play.