Grounding putter

Gadsby

Visit site
Can someone confirm the following please,

In a 4 BBB competition, I showed my partner the line of where he should aim for by touching the spot on the green with my putter, i then moved away as usual and after he made his stroke. One of our opponents called foul in so much as I had breached the rules of golf by lightly touching my putter on to a spot somewhere near where I thought my partner should aim. Who is correct him or me, I thought this had changed under the 2019 rules update.

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
You were correct.

As long as there is no improvement in the conditions affecting the stroke you may touch the green with hand, foot, or anything that you are holding.

10.2b(2) is your friend.

Gadsby

Visit site
You were correct.

As long as there is no improvement in the conditions affecting the stroke you may touch the green with hand, foot, or anything that you are holding.

10.2b(2) is your friend.
Thanks Nick I was sort of 95% certain but had a bit of doubt

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
You were correct.

10.2b(2) is your friend.
Rule 13.1c permits actions on the putting green which may improve the conditions affecting the stroke.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Rule 13.1c permits actions on the putting green which may improve the conditions affecting the stroke.
Indeed...which I guess shows how out of synch the rules were in respect of touching the line of putt pre 2019....on one hand you could sweep merrily away removing LI's sand, soil etc., but on the other hand you couldnt even touch the green on the line of the putt with the tip of your pencil, a tee peg or the toe of your putter for purposes of indicating the line of play.

Steven Rules

Visit site
As is often the case in these situations - especially when you are 95% sure - a good approach is to ask the other party to show you the Rule that prohibits the practice in question. (In this case, indicating the line of play by touching the putting green.)

In this instance, they won't be able to point to any such (current) Rule. They are living in the past.

Prior to 2019, then Rule 8.2b expressly prohibited touching the putting green to indicate the line of play.

The prohibition was removed in 2019. My experience was that it subsequently took quite some time for many professionals, caddies and elite amateurs to adjust to the new, relaxed ways. Obviously, from the OP, it is taking some regular club golfers a good deal longer, still, to adjust.

crdb

Visit site
Can someone confirm the following please,

In a 4 BBB competition, I showed my partner the line of where he should aim for by touching the spot on the green with my putter, i then moved away as usual and after he made his stroke. One of our opponents called foul in so much as I had breached the rules of golf by lightly touching my putter on to a spot somewhere near where I thought my partner should aim. Who is correct him or me, I thought this had changed under the 2019 rules update.
I don't think iId enjoy playing with or against that kind of player.. Most of us are just out there to have a good time

I get rules are rules but we're not on the pro tour are we!

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think iId enjoy playing with or against that kind of player.. Most of us are just out there to have a good time

I get rules are rules but we're not on the pro tour are we!
Well, the Rules are meant for the game, not just the "professional" game. It's often a question for the first tee, "What Rules are we using today?" or "Which Rules are we not using today?"

crdb

Visit site
Well, the Rules are meant for the game, not just the "professional" game. It's often a question for the first tee, "What Rules are we using today?" or "Which Rules are we not using today?"
Yes I understand that, personally i've never had that conversation on the first tee as most the time it's just a knock around with mates. Maybe i should read up on the rules just to be safe..

D

Deleted member 29109

I’ve never had that conversation on the 1st tee.

I have had to ask people to show me which rule they are referring to a few times though. And I’ve had a few people say something along the lines of “we don’t usually use that rule or we just drop it x for a penalty stroke”