Grounding club in bunker, what am i missing?

Dudiefluke

Visit site
Just been getting my lockdown golf fix watching Rory win the PGA in 2012 at Kiawah Island on Sky and in the final round 16th hole he sticks his second shot into a greenside bunker, he then takes 2 practice swings catching the sand both times and plonks his ball onto the green and birdies the hole. I rewatched it a couple of times and there is no reaction from commentators so what am i missing?

D

Deleted Member 1156

It's probably what they call a waste area, not a bunker.
They have loads of them, in the US and Middle East in particular, where there are vast expanses of sand all around the course.

No penalty.
Is the correct answer. I've played a course in S Carolina where the buggy path runs through one.

Dudiefluke

Visit site
Thanks, just looked really weird commentators calling it a bunker and his playing partner seemed careful not to ground his club as well. I wish the waste areas i end up in were as well maintained!.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's probably what they call a waste area, not a bunker.
They have loads of them, in the US and Middle East in particular, where there are vast expanses of sand all around the course.

No penalty.
You might want to ask Dustin Johnson about that as they can be classified as a bunker on occasions.