You can't do that in a bunker Dustin!

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unbelievable. Able to handle the pressure of a tricky pitch at the side of the green and give himself a great chance to win (in his mind), but unable to remember a ruling which in hindsight will feel unbearably basic and unforgettable. Here's betting he doesn't repeat that mistake in the future! I really feel for him. I suppose missing the putt was a blessing in disguise for saving his blushes.

One of the commentators on the internet stream felt the caddy could have perhaps reminded Dustin that he was in a bunker and that he couldn't ground his club. But much like Johnson himself, I can't see something simple like this ever really entering the mind of the caddy as it was so obvious his ball was in the sand, and not grounding your club should be an autonomous reaction for a professional player in such a situation.

I guess it will never cease to amaze how the final day pressure in a major inhibits players' thought trails. I'm sure this won't be the last time we see a mental error cost a player a shot at the title.

Would like to see Kaymer win the play-off now, but Bubba looking like he has an early advantage based on the first hole drives. Great closing action.