Grips

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I bought a 5 wood off eBay, it had a non taper mid size grip installed. I thought I would get that off and install my preferred set up. Instead I have now converted my driver, fairway,hybrid and wedges to this grip and on my irons, I have reduced the taper by adding extra tape.
So my set up now is 3 wraps mid and a 4th at the mid down of the grip. I have played once with this setup and it felt right. Some noticeable improvement and forearms seemed less stiff.. if that means anything.
Has anyone else gone to non taper?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I've tried them and they just don't feel right to me...
Pretty sure Fundy has them and probably a few others.
Not for me though.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
my grips arent non taper but they are lamkin jumbo with four wraps on my woods [driver and 5 wood] [do we still call them woods even though they are most definately not]my irons are midsize and have two wraps ,but they are weighted grips to suit each club.Iwill be looking at non taper when I get my new driver.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to pay Winn grips which were non taper and I have added extra layers just under the right hand grip area on tour velvets.

I only play mid size if the shaft is a .58 diameter.

Usually I like a slightly thicker grip on wedges and a slightly thinner grip on woods. The former to help reduce wrist action and the latter to increase wrist action.

D

Deleted member 1147

I have long thin hands/fingers so prefer a thicker grip.

Also, the thicker the grip the harder it is to turn the hands over during the swing. So if you have a problem with too much hands during impact a thicker grip can help.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As Imurg says, big fan of non tapered grips. Comes from too many years of using cricket bats with multiple grips on (and sometimes with an extra grip on the top hand so in effect a reverse taper) but it feels right to me and stops my right hand from being too active

One thing I did find is that youre better off long term with a non tapered grip than building up under a normal tapered one (as i had been for ages), as you end up stretching the bottom of the grip a lot and then the tape hardens over time too, with the non tapered grip you get basically get a softer bottom hand grip as the rubber is thicker and get a bit more feel from it

Each to their own though, find what works for you and stick with it