Grip sizes

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been to the range tonight and finally started hitting my irons half decent again (thanks bob). The downside where my hybrids heading out left. I know most of it is operator but could it have something to do with the grips being too snail? I know one is definatley as my fingers go into my palm te other is borderline in my opinion but it's also a bit worn so prob needs changing anyway.

Your thoughts, my irons were custom fit and feel fine.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
this is something I have been pondering, had midsize grips in my old set and hit them well, my iron play seems to have gone pants since going to normal. debating regripping an iron or 2 with 2 layers of tape to start and see how it goes.

why not buy a grip, get 1 of the hybrids with an extra layer and see how it goes for starters. will only cost around 4 quid or so + fitting (doddle to do yourself aswell)

granters

Q-School Graduate
www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk
I got custom fitted and my new irons have midsize grips. My old grips were far too small and I had a tendency to flip it left,despite swinging well. As soon as we tried the midsize it stopped.I grip with my fingers now rather than my palms,made a massive difference

BeachGolfer

Head Pro
Visit site
Aside from tape layers, other factors that make the grips feel bigger or smaller are core sizes are shaft butt diameters. Grip cores are .58 or .60, the butt of the shaft can be anywhere between .580 and .620

Put a standard mens .58 core grip on a .620 butt and its pretty close to midsize.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This maybe sounds like a daft question, but something I have always wondered, how do you check what sizes your grips should be ?? :confused:

I've never checked it myself, but I've always read that when you grip the club with your left (rh golfer) hand, your finger(s) should only just touch your palm lightly.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never checked it myself, but I've always read that when you grip the club with your left (rh golfer) hand, your finger(s) should only just touch your palm lightly.

Yeah that's the basics of what I was thinking as my 18 deg my fingers stick into the palm, the 21 alittle less but as I said this grip is well worn anyway so may get this done and see how we go!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Evesdad, when I was fitted for my driver, they measured my hand from the crease when it meets your wrist to the end of the middle finger, at 8 inches it was spec'd that I needed +2 layers of tape. It does make a difference and all my clubs have been done the same ;)

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Take left hand grip
Check gap between left hand pinky and palm
See if you can put your right pinky tip into the gap
If you can easily grips too big
Opposite then too small

This is a rough old school rule of thumb and just an indication.

If the ops fingers are pressing into his palm they are far too small IMO

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Update they were too small and have been regripped. The only worrying thing was that all my irons maybe a tad too small! The pro thinks I should have had another layer of tap on them!! Atleast I have something to blame the bad shots on now!!