grip question.

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I posted a few weeks back about a sore left hand after recently starting playing. This has now gone but I now have a sore little finger on the right hand and a sore index finger on the left hand. I have an interlocking grip and as soon as I grip the club its sore on my finger like it has been overstretched! (I have quite flexible fingers from playing guitar) although its usually my left hand fingers doing all the work. It seems to be sore just where the webbing is on my right little finger and the inside of the first joint/knuckle on my left index finger. Anyway I know this will eventually go but my question is, Would I be better changing to a baseball grip for a few days to let my fingers recover (played like this yesterday and was fine) or not play for a week or so and let my fingers recover? I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference to my swing.

Thanks

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
i could never get comfortable with either the baseball grip ,i felt my hands werent together,and the interlocking grip as i felt it just didnt feel right ,well not with my big hands anyway.so it only left the vardon grip ,and from the get go it felt the grip to use. i think people with small hands tend to prefer the interlocking grip.Nicklaus used it and he only had relatively small hands .

Pippo_T

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I posted a few weeks back about a sore left hand after recently starting playing. This has now gone but I now have a sore little finger on the right hand and a sore index finger on the left hand. I have an interlocking grip and as soon as I grip the club its sore on my finger like it has been overstretched! (I have quite flexible fingers from playing guitar) although its usually my left hand fingers doing all the work. It seems to be sore just where the webbing is on my right little finger and the inside of the first joint/knuckle on my left index finger. Anyway I know this will eventually go but my question is, Would I be better changing to a baseball grip for a few days to let my fingers recover (played like this yesterday and was fine) or not play for a week or so and let my fingers recover? I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference to my swing.

Thanks

I've always found a change of grip had an effect on my swing, even if just for the short time to adjust. I have relatively small hands, but had sore hands and callouses when playing with my preferred initial grip - interlocking. I tried baseball grip but felt the right hand became too dominant, and then moved to Vardon. It initially felt really 'handsy' and I felt I had less control but now I couldn't imagine going back. I do think Vardon helps you naturally grip lighter, it did for me anyway, so if you're sticking with interlock maybe think about grip pressure? If you have gripped too tightly I think interlocking is the grip that would lead to the most discomfort.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I played with a card on grip for many years but after a very long break from golf (I'm now in my 50's) I had terrible pains in the joints of my fingers (right hand little finger and left hand index) I tried going to baseball grip for a while and the pain eventually went away. I was struggling with my swing with the baseball grip and went back to the Vardon grip. After a few weeks the pain had come back even worse and the knuckle on my index finger had swollen up with a hard lump under the skin. In the end I had no choice but to go to a baseball grip. Now, 18 months later I am still not entirely happy with the new grip, but I'm able to play golf as much as I like "pain free" (well as far as my hands are concerned anyway!) and that is what is important as far as I'm concerned.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Same problem. I got my grips replaced recently and went for mid size golf pride mutlicompounds with additional wrap of tape on the lower (right hand) section to reduce the taper. Result is less strain on right hand little finger with interlocking grip and not feeling like I need to grip as tightly.

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Same problem. I got my grips replaced recently and went for mid size golf pride mutlicompounds with additional wrap of tape on the lower (right hand) section to reduce the taper. Result is less strain on right hand little finger with interlocking grip and not feeling like I need to grip as tightly.
I might have to look into this. Thanks for your suggestion :)

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've always found a change of grip had an effect on my swing, even if just for the short time to adjust. I have relatively small hands, but had sore hands and callouses when playing with my preferred initial grip - interlocking. I tried baseball grip but felt the right hand became too dominant, and then moved to Vardon. It initially felt really 'handsy' and I felt I had less control but now I couldn't imagine going back. I do think Vardon helps you naturally grip lighter, it did for me anyway, so if you're sticking with interlock maybe think about grip pressure? If you have gripped too tightly I think interlocking is the grip that would lead to the most discomfort.

I don't think I grip too tightly but it's hard to judge yourself. Never had anything said at lessons,
I've been for a round this morning and hooked every tee shot quite badly for the first 4 holes! I normally slice if anything. I had recently adjusted my hand positioning for my grip and had a slight pull with the driver. I changed to the varden grip after that for my drives and improved back to my normal slight pull. Hit a few bad shots but think that's because I changed my swing to a much shorter back swing. All in all I've probably changed a bit too much trying a different grip and a different swing 😂 Trying to concentrate on too many things at once isn't helpful.
I might look into getting the clubs regripped as mentioned elsewhere

Thanks