Grip Question - Starting line and Shot Shape

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
A question for the folk in n the know regarding the gripping off the club and how it affects flight.

Over the last 6-8 weeks I've spent a large amount of both playing and practice time working on weakening my grip. Only changing fractionally from 3-2.1/2 knuckles to 2 on the left hand.

One thing that has stood out dramatically is how the flight has changed.

The more my left hand has graduated to the left the more right my ball flight is starting.

The problem is, the curve back to the left (draw) is considerably less. To the point where there isn't any.

Today after a few of the above at the range I gave up with a weak(er) grip and reverted back to my stronger grip (2.1/2-3 knuckles).

I know, I know changes take time and I should probably persevere, however the result of the swing and flight of the ball is getting worse.

The reverted grip produced the old ball flight. Starting 5-6 yards right and drawing back to target.

Consistently.

This brings me to my question(s)

Why is a strong grip frowned upon as opposed to a neutral grip?

And secondly, probably one for Bob and Coach, but all opinions welcome.

Why would you suggest a change to a person's grip? Is it purely club face control or are there other factors?

I'm at a bit of a quandary now. Sick with the grip that gives the results I'm after our persevere with the suggested change?

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why change if it's working as you want?

You are changing your grip at address, but your hands at Impact are in the same place as before the grip change.
All you're doing in effect is opening the face at impact.

Does the old grip give you an occasional horror shot you're trying to get rid of?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why change if it's working as you want?

You are changing your grip at address, but your hands at Impact are in the same place as before the grip change.
All you're doing in effect is opening the face at impact.

Does the old grip give you an occasional horror shot you're trying to get rid of?

Suggestion of my pro in my last lesson Gary.

He mentioned about the ball curving to much for the club I had.

Not necessity past target but more than required for the club I was hitting (7 iron at the time)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Suggestion of my pro in my last lesson Gary.

He mentioned about the ball curving to much for the club I had.

Not necessity past target but more than required for the club I was hitting (7 iron at the time)

I agree with the Irish fella.

If your ball curves enough to get back to target now, then less curve will mean you also have to aim left or change your path as well.

Having said that, your pro obviously knows more about the golf swing, and your swing in particular, than I do.
Is there a stage 2 for when you go back to him and say you're missing everything 5 yards right?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I agree with the Irish fella.

If your ball curves enough to get back to target now, then less curve will mean you also have to aim left or change your path as well.

Having said that, your pro obviously knows more about the golf swing, and your swing in particular, than I do.
Is there a stage 2 for when you go back to him and say you're missing everything 5 yards right?

Not really. Just to work on keeping the grip more neutral as opposed to strong.

Confused me I have to say but I kind of get his reasoning. Less curve on the flight means my miss is smaller than with a bigger curve.

Winter work this year will focus strictly on short game.

mab

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree with above. IMO, the problem with changing your grip is that you may (likely?) only be changing it at address.

Accoringly, if you weaken your grip at address, but your position at impact remains unchanged then you are likely to be striking the ball with the club face being more open than it was previously. The opposite would be true if you strengthen your grip.

I'm going through a similar quandary at the moment. My irons are great, but my driving remains poor (accuracy as opposed to quality of strike) and I'm trying to work out the optimal grip for my driver which, worryingly, seems to be a little stronger than my iron grip for some unknown reason.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I agree with above. IMO, the problem with changing your grip is that you may (likely?) only be changing it at address.

Accoringly, if you weaken your grip at address, but your position at impact remains unchanged then you are likely to be striking the ball with the club face being more open than it was previously. The opposite would be true if you strengthen your grip.

I'm going through a similar quandary at the moment. My irons are great, but my driving remains poor (accuracy as opposed to quality of strike) and I'm trying to work out the optimal grip for my driver which, worryingly, seems to be a little stronger than my iron grip for some unknown reason.

I agree with you.

What I find particularly strange is that with a strong(..er) grip as opposed to neutral, the initial ball flight is still right of the initial ball to target line.

The ball then moves back to that target line.

I would have thought a strong grip would have the ball starting a little straighter (In relation to address ball to target line) as opposed to right of it.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Been on a launch monitor recently? it should highlight these angles and show if its even worth changing the grip.

My guess is the path is still too far to the right and even with the strong grip the face is still open to the target line which is no bad thing.

Need to get the path closer to neutral (0) if you want to reduce the curve.