Grip issue - Double Over lap

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Esteemed boffins of the forum.

A little while back James noticed an issue with my grip. Specifically a double overlap of my fingers.

Got a spare 5 minutes when I got in so asked HID to take a picture:

58D7F146-00AA-4F53-A70F-3037EDE5ECE9_zpsbtvr8szr.jpg

Not pretty it know. See how the 3rd (from right) finger on the right hand overlaps the index fingering my left hand.

Something I've always, kind of, played with without what I would call issue. So it begs the question(s)

a) Are my hands too big for an interlocking grip?

b) Do I persist with the interlock and correct the issue?

c) Move to a Vardon grip to give my hands more 'room'?

d) Leave it is an keep playing?

Any opinions and/or suggestions always welcome :D

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
IMO your grip needs to be correct, wether that means vardon or interlock, it has be correct. Once sorted it you should never think about it. I would say your grip is shortening the contact area your hands can apply to the grip.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Jim Furyk seems to have had some success with a 'Double Overlap' grip!

While I agree with the importance of getting a 'correct' grip, there is no definition of what is correct - except 'what works best for you'. My Pro mate went round an entire course and noted that every shot was played with a slightly different stance and grip - according to the needs of the shot he wanted!

I get a feeling, but it's only a feeling as Interlock and I definitely don't get on, that your grip will allow a bit more (combined) wrist movement than the standard Interlock. Whether that's a good or bad thing depends!

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Gareth,

Irrispective of what grip you use you really should have the bottom three fingers of the left hand and the middle two fingers of the right hand on the grip to ensure the shaft does not move in your hands and your wrists ar not restricted in movement.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gareth,

Irrispective of what grip you use you really should have the bottom three fingers of the left hand and the middle two fingers of the right hand on the grip to ensure the shaft does not move in your hands and your wrists ar not restricted in movement

That's what I thought too Brian.

I'm of to invest in a Leadbetter grip trainer

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Have you thought about one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZjbg8-Juq8

You can swap it between clubs with ease and hit shots with it attached as well. Not cheap but it is a decent bit of kit. I have one and it does do the trick

Thanks for the recommendation :thup:

It's not su much the grip I struggle with. More the placement of the top 3 fingers on the right hand.

In_The_Rough

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the recommendation :thup:

It's not su much the grip I struggle with. More the placement of the top 3 fingers on the right hand.

This will still work for you. It forces you to grip the club correctly. How you grip it the aid would not let you do that. The thing I find more useful than ever is that you can swap it between clubs in a matter of seconds