Grip - is this too strong

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
It does look a touch strong.
Does the ball go left ?
Predominantly. I have a bit of a 2 way miss going on - golf is a hard game just at the minute. I’ve filled my head with all manner of swing thoughts as well. At the minute I stand over the golf ball a nervous wreck!! Bit of a chicken wing, separation and disconnection of arms and body is leading to some horrible inconsistency.

I’m just going back to a steady turn back and turn through in the hope my bigger muscles might be a bit more consistent, but every shot is a hope for the best at the minute with lots of oppo4tunities to practise recovery and short game😂😂😂

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
One of the 5 LAWS in golf is clubface direction at impact. That has a direct influence on the ball.

When you are swinging down into impact at speed, it's hard to manipulate the clubface consistently.
Therefore a neutral grip helps enormously as it doesn't need manipulating.
Compare your picture above to a neutral grip below, especially your right hand

IMG_0718-1024x683bbb.jpg

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mines is stronger than that. My strike has improved a lot moving back to a stronger position. Especially with the left hand.

It depends on your path and release what effect the strong grip has on the flight.

crdb

Visit site
Mines is stronger than that. My strike has improved a lot moving back to a stronger position. Especially with the left hand.

It depends on your path and release what effect the strong grip has on the flight.
Mine too, if my thumbs are on the top of the club I will slice everything

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
One of the 5 LAWS in golf is clubface direction at impact. That has a direct influence on the ball.

When you are swinging down into impact at speed, it's hard to manipulate the clubface consistently.

View attachment 54265E

Chhers Bobmac,

View attachment 54265

Cheers Bobmac, just had a range session, really backed off that right hand. Fantastic, straight, long, can really confidently get through the ball and release the club now😀😀😀

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Good to hear.
Sometimes when a golfer has a strong grip he/she holds back the release which leaves the clubface open at impact causing the shot to go right.
This confuses some people because a strong grip usually makes the ball go left, hence my question in post no. 2.
It's a liberating feeling knowing you can hit it hard with the right hand and it won't go left.
Enjoy the middle of the fairway (y)

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
Good to hear.
Sometimes when a golfer has a strong grip he/she holds back the release which leaves the clubface open at impact causing the shot to go right.
This confuses some people because a strong grip usually makes the ball go left, hence my question in post no. 2.
It's a liberating feeling knowing you can hit it hard with the right hand and it won't go left.
Enjoy the middle of the fairway (y)
It really is. Helps with the strike as well when I feel really confident to go through it.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On the grip discussion, I have been looking at my lower hand. I have improved my top hand position and that is helping me release but I have a long or extended thumb which affects the lower hand position. Is it worthwhile to work that out to improve my lower hand position?