Grip faults / changing or other issues

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hi guys, as some may of read recently my swing has deserted me leaving a nasty snap hook / hook

It appears that this can either be swing path or face closed at impact

I am 100% sure its the closed face and the culprit seems to be my right hand

Ok tried to hit a few balls with the baseball grip, wasnt pretty and didnt seem to help

This is my fault with my right hand, starts off at address with a good position, V pointing roughly towards chin / right shoulder area, still using Vardon grip.

However when i take my back swing and return the club face as if to strike the ball my right hand has turned clockwise and sits under the club V now pointing past my right shoulder

A bit like this picture top right but my left hand is strong not weak as shown in the image, my right is exactly like this at impact

your_swing_map_4.jpg

During the release my "changed" right hand shuts the club face and result HOOK CITY

Anybody got any clues, doesnt feel like club is slipping but then again its my left holding it more than the right

I am baffled please help if you can !

Bob have you had or seen this issue before ?

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Perhaps try one of those moulded training grips?

I try to keep my right hand soft on the club and also right thumb left of centre and just touching the tip of forefinger. I used to re-grip a bit (I think) and this worked for me.

Also - are you sure the club is square at address. When I got the hooks I also noticed it appeared my grip had strengthened and after the follow through a return to address had a very closed face. In fact I was gripping it in the same place throughout but taking my grip with the face closed but with a simultaneous roll of my forearms so it appeared square.

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks Amanda

I have the training grip at home and seems correct

I have seen a couple of things tonight about my left and right

Left hand V was a bit towards the chin, the right as mentioned at address pointing between chin and right shoulder, then after impact it seemed to have shifted more to the right

I tested the face after impact and it was badly shut

I think my index finger below the knuckle on the right hand was not straight along the right side of the grip this seemed as if it was why my right hand didnt quite cover the left thumb

To date i have played ok with this inferior grip, maybe with everything else working better its the grip issues that have come to haunt me !

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I feel your pain!! Hence my post a few weeks ago! Sort of sorted it but last weekend it was back with avengence!! Short term is was nice to see the left hand side of the course, rough and OOB, now it's just bloody annoying!! I'm trying to agree a slot with my pro which is proving just as difficult!

Bobs tips were to check alignment and make sure I was ttansfering weight properly. Hope this helps!

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
FFS stop fannying around and go see a Pro! He/She will sort it out in 2 mins flat!

Yes i agree but he is booked up at weekends for the next few weeks and i play again this Sunday !!

I could hunt around for a different Pro but i would prefer to stay with the one at the club

In the meantime i will stop asking for suggestions !

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes i agree but he is booked up at weekends for the next few weeks and i play again this Sunday !!

I could hunt around for a different Pro but i would prefer to stay with the one at the club

In the meantime i will stop asking for suggestions !

As stated, 2 mins should be all it takes. If you are a 'regular' student, he should be able to do that between range and Pro-shop (and gratus?). So just ask him. If he fobs you off, then finding another Pro might be a good idea - as that sort of service is what's expected from a 'good' Pro. Look at the free advice Bob gives!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
are you taking the club too far to the inside. i am doing that these days and hooking everything from 7iron down.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I have an idea what could be causing this.
You take your grip as you say and all is well. You may then be re-gripping just before you start the swing without realising it.
It's like a trigger to start the swing and I've seen it a few times.
Make sure this doesn't happen and it could sort you out.
Of course, I could be totally wrong

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My grip is similar to the one in the picture, I concentrate on a lighter feel in the right hand through impact than I do the left hand and my pro is currently working with me on a flat left wrist at impact and starting the downswing with the hips, all of which helps to square the clubface I believe