Greens - When is it time to hollow tine?

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk
I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than me about green keeping can enlighten me. I last played at our club 2 weeks ago due to having to attend a boring wedding last weekend and the greens were the best they have been this year. Turns up today and everyone is saying that they are terrible because the 'Gardener' has hollow tined them again.

Sure enough they had been hollow tined and were rock hard, putts bouncing of the holes left by the machine. Is it right to hollow tine when the ground is hard and not dress the greens? I don't know - which is why I am asking the question, I don't want to slate the guy if what he is doing is the correct thing for the time of year/course conditions.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can't give you an answer. Howver the greens at my course have been poor for the last two years and infested with moss and thatch. They putted ok but were slow and looked awful. We had a new greenkeeper come in later last year and so far we have had them hollow tined twice and regulary slit. It's been a pain as the greens just get to a decent speed and roll better and truer and then you take a step back. On the plus side they are beginning to improve superbly and by next season should be back to their best. I guess the answer is as often as the expert feels is necessary

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Malc, ours where done three weeks ago, today they played absolutely superb, just a shame my putting went awol.

On another note, when you coming over next for a game?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Unfortunately the best time is mid August I believe, we had an email sent out with a link on explain the whole process recently after complaints.
Ours were actually done the week before club champs and hadn't fully recovered.
It was reported Some courses actually do it every 3 weeks.

It's a bit of short term pain for long term gain.

Scottjd1

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think twice per year and not all clubs have the machinery so it needs to be booked in advance hence why sometimes the weather can not be ideal!!!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
When the Course Manager (Head Greenkeeper) says so. Do you know any better? Ours tells me why things are being done so that I can keep members informed.

sweatysock41

Q-School Graduate
www.oakridgegolfclub.co.uk
When the Course Manager (Head Greenkeeper) says so. Do you know any better? Ours tells me why things are being done so that I can keep members informed.

If you took the trouble to read the OP fully I said I didn't know and didn't want to slate the guy if he was doing things correctly. The question was asked so that I could be elightened, therefore the 'Do you know any better?' in your response comes across as a bit patronising and uncalled for.

You are the fortunate one to be advised when and why things are being done.

With regards to machinery that is not the issue as we have our own. From the constructive responses I have had it would seem that he has done things at the correct time and I have learned something that I can defend his position when others slate him.

Last edited:

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our greens were superb until the weekend before last. Last weeks forecast hot and sunny for the whole week and when we turned up last weekend thay had been tined. They dried out and are now very firm. If they'd left it a week the greens would have retained their moisture and been in top condition.

As matters are now the greens are firm to hard and have slowed down due to the sand. The club is very well maintained however they seem to tine the greens every 4-6 weeks when the weather is good which can be frustrating.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
There is an article on hollow tining in the October issue of National Club Golfer magazine. The green keeper reckons the best time to do this is between May and August when growing conditions are at their best and so recovery will be quickest.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours have just been done as the main season as finished, still a few comps to come yet though so I hope they settle down soon.